Coral id green all the way

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish store kept saying this was a common species...nothing more... Thought they were zoanthids when they were closed are these actually nuclear green palythoas we've just been trying to id the specific species

IMG_20210510_234544.jpg

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have them they show their color very well when your params are good
idk what kind are they but i think they are paly toxins
and know that they are fast growers be careful where you put them
good luck

OP
OP
Samanthabea

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in the sand bed now with room thanks to all hopefully we don't need to frag them ever just move them around

OP
OP
Samanthabea

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick second question would dipping them cause them to release toxins I do agree this is a toxic one

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read if one of their head cut off they will release toxin
i have not dipped them when i bought them i didnt even know what kind of polyps are they ;Smuggrin
but after i read about them and watch youtube i found they are toxic
but they are really beautiful

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should dip...Just because that species has been found to contain and release Palytoxin doesnt always mean the frag you have contains the toxin. That’s what I have read a couple of places but always use caution. Always try and keep them submerged if you’re nervous about it. I acclimate then dip. During dip I get them off the plug under the water /dip level. Then I let them sit in a bucket of fresh tank water. Then I give them a hydro bath, wash off, then to QT....

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paly toxin your refering to isnt like when a leather or soft coral has chemical warfare. Its more similar to when a mushroom coral gets slimy. The paly will get all mucusy and slimey. Please take caution and wear gloves and appropriate eye ppe when cutting palys or handling them. Something when i wqs younger i paid no attention to.
D

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paly toxin your refering to isnt like when a leather or soft coral has chemical warfare. Its more similar to when a mushroom coral gets slimy. The paly will get all mucusy and slimey. Please take caution and wear gloves and appropriate eye ppe when cutting palys or handling them. Something when i wqs younger i paid no attention to.
D
Can also squirt or as I would call it, Spit you in the face..

OP
OP
Samanthabea

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya we've seen fragging is the most dangerous part we bought these on a rock to themselves we did dip them that's why I asked water seeped in the gloves my husband was wearing while dipping and placing he's been sick sense today he accidentally got sand in them they closed and he started feeling worse today (could be something else like say the flu but in reality who knows if these are one of the toxic ones) between him the doctors work and kids this is when I could watch the thread

OP
OP
Samanthabea

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When 1st getting them home I told him it kinda looked like they puked in the bag there was mucus looking stuff floating around

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe the toxic can leave the water and get into the air, but say if it seeped into the glove then your husband touched his mouth , eyes, inside of nose , then yes he could of be poisoned. Doesn’t sound like a big exposure but keep a eye on him and your tank...

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be taking hot showers if i was ur husband just to try and open his pores and get any out of he did come in contact. Wish o had more info sorry. All palys contain palytoxin.
D

OP
OP
Samanthabea

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He feels rough my gloves didn't have any leak but his did the 1st day it cleared up some until he was cleaning his tank today then it got worse again( another glove leak after these got angry from sand getting in them we were going to buy better gloves anyway but thought after the initial intro it wouldn't happen again) how long does it take for the toxins to leave the water so far the other corals and the clown(swimming funny sometimes though but everything we've read says they are odd) and snails seem fine

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not in the water. If it was its not now.
The coral is normal? I would recommend your husband double glove up just to be safe and cautious. Some ppl are more susceptable than others. Like alergies almost or a drinking tolerance. Lol
D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back