Coral ID Help

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some corals from LFS and don’t know some of their names. Could you please let me know the name of these corals?. Any help is greatly appreciated.

99E9980C-9A13-47D0-BB4E-B443FECCC0F2.jpeg A4D176DE-AAE4-4F2D-AE26-4B926A568C7E.jpeg B428F54B-DC55-4108-873E-D0A297DE4A9E.jpeg F8FB8B53-BB79-4AC5-9A50-5137B54C1F86.jpeg 9E534517-0DC6-4EFA-99C3-8AC05E8EEE45.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricordia mushroom .................... Soft coral, perhaps a sarcophyton?

Gold favia ............................ Hollywood stunner chalice

I thing I'm looking at a goniopora in the last pic, but maybe not?

No Way What GIF by Major League Soccer

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea Florida
Sarcophyton/toadstool leather
Favia or perhaps goniastrea
The last two are difficult
Second to last is either a chalice (echinopora) or Turbinaria (cup coral)
Last could be a few things, but I’m thinking goniopora, cyphastrea, leptastrea, it’s really not a clear enough picture to accurately ID.

You really shouldn’t be buying corals if you don’t know what they are and what kind of care they need. If you are new to the hobby, you should be researching the corals you want before purchasing them and avoid making impulse purchases. At the very least you should Google them while at the LFS to make sure you’re prepared and capable of taking care of them, and you should write the names down so you can do further research (plus you should be keeping a log of all additions, maintenance, testing, dosing, etc). I get that it’s difficult not to make impulse purchases at the LFS, but buying any animal without knowing what it is or how to care for it is unethical.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea Florida
Sarcophyton/toadstool leather
Favia or perhaps goniastrea
The last two are difficult
Second to last is either a chalice (echinopora) or Turbinaria (cup coral)
Last could be a few things, but I’m thinking goniopora, cyphastrea, leptastrea, it’s really not a clear enough picture to accurately ID.

You really shouldn’t be buying corals if you don’t know what they are and what kind of care they need. If you are new to the hobby, you should be researching the corals you want before purchasing them and avoid making impulse purchases. At the very least you should Google them while at the LFS to make sure you’re prepared and capable of taking care of them, and you should write the names down so you can do further research (plus you should be keeping a log of all additions, maintenance, testing, dosing, etc). I get that it’s difficult not to make impulse purchases at the LFS, but buying any animal without knowing what it is or how to care for it is unethical.
Thank you very much for identifying the coral names for me. When I was at the LFS, I told them that I wanted to get some corals that were easy to take care of and are hardy. They suggested these corals, they even told me the names of them, but I forgot to note them down. Now I wanted to research the exact flow and light requirements of these corals so that I can decide where to place them in the tank. Without knowing their names, I can’t research their needs. I hope my LFS guy didn’t lie to me about these corals being relatively easy and hardy. I will try to get a better picture of the last coral.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricordia mushroom .................... Soft coral, perhaps a sarcophyton?

Gold favia ............................ Hollywood stunner chalice

I thing I'm looking at a goniopora in the last pic, but maybe not?

No Way What GIF by Major League Soccer
Thanks for your help

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess stylo on the last.

I'm not nearly as offended as others by buying unknown coral. These are all common corals that probably weren't very expensive and were recommended by the LFS. Meanwhile, this forum supports a sale format which encourages/requires buyers to purchase on impulse and research later. I think the risk of coral incompatibility with a tank or other livestock is much less than say when purchasing a fish.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not nearly as offended as others by buying unknown coral. These are all common corals that probably weren't very expensive and were recommended by the LFS. Meanwhile, this forum supports a sale format which encourages/requires buyers to purchase on impulse and research later. I think the risk of coral incompatibility with a tank or other livestock is much less than say when purchasing a fish.
Thank you very much for your kind words

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think the price matters, and I have always been just as critical of live sales. I stand by the opinion that it is wrong to purchase an animal without knowing what it is.

Thank you very much for identifying the coral names for me. When I was at the LFS, I told them that I wanted to get some corals that were easy to take care of and are hardy. They suggested these corals, they even told me the names of them, but I forgot to note them down. Now I wanted to research the exact flow and light requirements of these corals so that I can decide where to place them in the tank. Without knowing their names, I can’t research their needs. I hope my LFS guy didn’t lie to me about these corals being relatively easy and hardy. I will try to get a better picture of the last coral.
I understand being new to the hobby and just asking the lfs for some easy corals, I would just recommend next time to write down what they are and to ask questions about each specific coral (and write that down). Any lfs that won’t gladly answer these questions for you isn’t one you should be shipping at.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the price matters, and I have always been just as critical of live sales. I stand by the opinion that it is wrong to purchase an animal without knowing what it is.

I understand being new to the hobby and just asking the lfs for some easy corals, I would just recommend next time to write down what they are and to ask questions about each specific coral (and write that down). Any lfs that won’t gladly answer these questions for you isn’t one you should be shipping at.
The problem with reprimanding someone who came for help after the fact is that it does not change the current situation and it discourages others who might need the same kind of advice. There are much worse sins in this hobby than buying some frags before becoming an expert on them. In this case, they asked the LFS for recommendations and were directed to these.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with reprimanding someone who came for help after the fact is that it does not change the current situation and it discourages others who might need the same kind of advice. There are much worse sins in this hobby than buying some frags before becoming an expert on them. In this case, they asked the LFS for recommendations and were directed to these.
I don’t think I was reprimanding them, how else do you convey the importance of knowing what an animal is and how to care for it before purchasing it. Sure, it’s not the greatest sin in the hobby, but that doesn’t mean we should just turn a blind eye to it, I don’t see what the issue with saying ‘hey, you shouldn’t just buy random frags if don’t know what they are’. If that discourages people from asking for help, that’s unfortunate, but again, I don’t think that we shouldn’t call the smaller ‘sins’ out fear that it might upset someone.

And the corals the lfs picked out as ‘beginner friendly’ are the exact reason why people should at least Google what they’re thinking about buying before they buy it. Montipora, goniopora, turbinaria, and leptastrea are not beginner corals (really no stony corals are beginner corals). This lfs sold this person corals that have a high likelihood of not surviving in an inexperienced person’s immature tank (I don’t say that to be elitist, it’s just the reality of the situation). I don’t really fault the OP, they didn’t know, but its all the more reason to warn newbies that LFSs don’t always give out good info, they have a vested interest in selling something, so their advice should always be verified, preferably before leaving the store with a live animal.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last image is a cyphastrea , trust me on that one i have the same variation of color and the same absurd polyp extension

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some corals from LFS and don’t know some of their names. Could you please let me know the name of these corals?. Any help is greatly appreciated.

99E9980C-9A13-47D0-BB4E-B443FECCC0F2.jpeg A4D176DE-AAE4-4F2D-AE26-4B926A568C7E.jpeg B428F54B-DC55-4108-873E-D0A297DE4A9E.jpeg F8FB8B53-BB79-4AC5-9A50-5137B54C1F86.jpeg 9E534517-0DC6-4EFA-99C3-8AC05E8EEE45.jpeg
last three :
1) looks like a WWC space monkey favia
2) some sort of chalice
3) a red cyphastrea

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the goniopora, these are some relatively durable corals.

The Hollywood Stunner chalice should be placed well away from any other corals. They have very long stinging tentacles.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
4th is hollywood stunner chalice and last appears to be lepastrea often confused with cyphastrea but a little hairier or short tip Goniopora

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearer picture on the last frag would be helpful, but I'm fairly certain it's not a leprastrea or cyphastrea. Both will have more uniform pattern. It looks more like a stylocoeniella.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel totally vindicated on the last coral ID, and agree that it is possibly one of the corals that folks have identified in their comments. :) I will wait for your report once you arrive at a solution.

I used to get into difficult discussion with my coworkers when I was communicating with them passionately on working related subjects. People thought that I was abusive when I expressed my concerns. I have tried very much to improve my own methods of communication to reduce conflict and I have a much healthier relationships with my coworkers now.
Having a strong moral compass doesn’t help anyone else to improve understanding if their own compass is pointing a different direction. Figuring out who is correct can’t happen by discussing the paths indicated on the personal instrument unless you first agree that both can be completely wrong About there resultants and are unhelpful without a means to resolve the reasons for the differences.

given that there are many different ways to go the “best way” not selected originally may no longer be an option. Lobbying for that way after the fact isn’t generally helpful for deciding what to do next.

I forgot what I was writing about, don’t be mad, I’m sorry.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel totally vindicated on the last coral ID, and agree that it is possibly one of the corals that folks have identified in their comments. :) I will wait for your report once you arrive at a solution.

I used to get into difficult discussion with my coworkers when I was communicating with them passionately on working related subjects. People thought that I was abusive when I expressed my concerns. I have tried very much to improve my own methods of communication to reduce conflict and I have a much healthier relationships with my coworkers now.
Having a strong moral compass doesn’t help anyone else to improve understanding if their own compass is pointing a different direction. Figuring out who is correct can’t happen by discussing the paths indicated on the personal instrument unless you first agree that both can be completely wrong About there resultants and are unhelpful without a means to resolve the reasons for the differences.

given that there are many different ways to go the “best way” not selected originally may no longer be an option. Lobbying for that way after the fact isn’t generally helpful for deciding what to do next.

I forgot what I was writing about, don’t be mad, I’m sorry.
That is some pretty strong self awareness going there. I can think of more than a few others (outside this forum mostly) that could benefit from this kind introspection. Keep sharing!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back