Coral ID

PibbleMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased these a couple months ago and was told names but forgot. I usually write them down but I must have forgot to.

I believe first and second pictures are Montipora but not sure what kind. First pic is bright green with red/orange polyps and was told it was possibly a chili pepper monti. Second pic has a yellow body with purple polyps. 3rd pic I believe is a chalice but I'm not sure what kind, purple with red/pink bumps.

TIA!!! <3
20190318_215300.jpg
20190315_171220.jpg
20190318_215516.jpg

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 2 look like montipora. Chili pepper would be a vendor name. Looks to be an encrusting montipora. The second resembles a montipora capricornis but is showing die off and the last would be a chalice coral.

OP
OP
PibbleMom

PibbleMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 2 look like montipora. Chili pepper would be a vendor name. Looks to be an encrusting montipora. The second resembles a montipora capricornis but is showing die off and the last would be a chalice coral.
I was sure they were montis and a chalice but was wanting to know if there were specific names. And what do you mean die off? The red on the second one is due to the horrible algae bloom I had and is algae. I brush it off of the coral every day. The white is new growth and has been slowing turning more yellow.

OP
OP
PibbleMom

PibbleMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vendor names I'm not sure of. The white you see is the skeleton of the montipora. Most likely the yellow you see is algae growing on the skeleton.
I'm a bit confused with what you're saying... I have a problem with cyano, the red around the edges is that, the yellow is the original color of it and the white is new growth. The white has the purple polyps like the rest and continues to grow and continues to darken to the yellow of the rest of it... I have just googled it and found many pictures of entrusting montis with yellow bodies and purple polyps.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can do is try to provide help with the pics you have posted. I don't know the vendor names. From the pic provided it looks like you have tissue necrosis on the second montipora picture so I was just letting you know. We've had plenty on montipora do this. If you see color in your polyps then that's a good sign, happy reefing.

OP
OP
PibbleMom

PibbleMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is definitely color in the polyps. The picture makes it look a little strange but it has done that since we got it. The new growth would be completely white and then go to the same yellow as the rest of it. Thanks for your help. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back