OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no calcium alk and magnesium. you wanna have very low phosphorus and nitrates. o no worries on the light you have to start somewhere. bulk reef supple has sales almost every day btw check em out.
Sounds good thanks ya i have no clue on any of those my budget had only been alowing me to get 5 in 1 test strips for now

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid test strips they are not vary accurate. you will be fine as long as you do water changes once a week 20 percent. just make sure you have reef salt and you will be good to go. as far as lighting lower light is alwes better than to much light so I thing you will be just fine =] also I think the corals you have look cool I dig em.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid test strips they are not vary accurate. you will be fine as long as you do water changes once a week 20 percent. just make sure you have reef salt and you will be good to go. as far as lighting lower light is alwes better than to much light so I thing you will be just fine =] also I think the corals you have look cool I dig em.
Well thank you i feel like theyr all dying tho i have a green mushroom that looks not the happiest lately 2 half dead candy canes and the paly/zoas watever i have everything is scrap and very small

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are like any living thing sometimes they have good days sometimes bad. water changes perk mine up sometimes or might take a few days for them to perk up. they usually are rely happy if the water is alwes the same parameter wise. what are your parameters?

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ig i didnt know there was a diference one sec

15667063229473194044863053688386.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are like any living thing sometimes they have good days sometimes bad. water changes perk mine up sometimes or might take a few days for them to perk up. they usually are rely happy if the water is alwes the same parameter wise. what are your parameters?
Like i said i have no clue dont have tests for that yet

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want the instant ocean reef salt. that is the salt for fish only. it wont have calcium alk or magnesium otherwise you will have to test and dose for those. if you get this you can just water change.https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-coral-pro-salt.html

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want the instant ocean reef salt. that is the salt for fish only. it wont have calcium alk or magnesium otherwise you will have to test and dose for those. if you get this you can just water change.https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-coral-pro-salt.html
Thanks

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries. you should be okay for a wail on that salt. with my first coral I was using the same salt you are using now for 2 months before I switched to a reef salt. I use topic marin but it is pretty much the same as any reef salt. red sea is good reliable and cheap usually just a slight more than instant ocean but much better.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you ever wanna upgrade light and your tank is small and just doing lps corals this would be a good upgrade. just saying. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/za-1201-aqua-system-series-pico-led-light-zetlight.html
bulk reef supply has lots of good videos on corals and tanks you should check e'm out lots of good info.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no calcium alk and magnesium. you wanna have very low phosphorus and nitrates. o no worries on the light you have to start somewhere. bulk reef supple has sales almost every day btw check em out.
I wouldn’t worry about Ca, Mg and alk with palys. Just stability really. They grow in the worst of worst conditions like a weed. Ca and alk aren’t taken up to build a skeleton like on stony corals

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about Ca, Mg and alk with palys. Just stability really. They grow in the worst of worst conditions like a weed. Ca and alk aren’t taken up to build a skeleton like on stony corals

I do not mean to argue but I big to differ corals need to be in water that is as close to ocean water as possible. yes some corals like those are hardy and can handle not being in ideal conditions but the most positive outcome will to simulate ocean water as close as possible. calcium alk and magnesium are the most basic of basic elements to have in a tank and is easily replace with a Reef Salt via water change. I mean I'm not telling him to go buy a ton of equipment or anything just the basics for keeping corals in good conditions. but it is what it is just trying to help.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not mean to argue but I big to differ corals need to be in water that is as close to ocean water as possible. yes some corals like those are hardy and can handle not being in ideal conditions but the most positive outcome will to simulate ocean water as close as possible. calcium alk and magnesium are the most basic of basic elements to have in a tank and is easily replace with a Reef Salt. I mean I'm not telling him to go buy a ton of equipment or anything just the basics for keeping corals in good conditions. but it is what it is just trying to help.
I don’t think most people keep their tank parameters anywhere near ocean water parameters. The key is to keep things stable. One person may have alk at 6, another at 12. Both are fine as long as they’re stable. But I agree OP should be testing for those parameters. And that could be part of the problem.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think most people keep their tank parameters anywhere near ocean water parameters. The key is to keep things stable. One person may have alk at 6, another at 12. Both are fine as long as they’re stable. But I agree OP should be testing for those parameters. And that could be part of the problem.
Sounds good ill do what i can

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and it shows. also, I failed to mention I am a biologist. witch does not mean much since this is at a hobby level. but yes keeping things stable does help. I do have to mention ocean waters have a flux in parameters just not big. the main issue with stability would be salinity and ph, i.e alk. that said if water change once a week with a reef salt will stabilize alk and ph. topping off for salinity before and after testing. if it is the swing arm type take it out for proper reading. rinse with ro/di water or distilled water than rinse with tank water than test for a proper reading.

Back