OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and it shows. also, I failed to mention I am a biologist. witch does not mean much since this is at a hobby level. but yes keeping things stable does help. I do have to mention ocean waters have a flux in parameters just not big. the main issue with stability would be salinity and ph, i.e alk. that said if water change once a week with a reef salt will stabilize alk and ph. topping off for salinity before and after testing. if it is the swing arm type take it out for proper reading. rinse with ro/di water or distilled water than rinse with tank water than test for a proper reading.
Oh ok it had the suction cup so i figured it just went in the tank

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok it had the suction cup so i figured it just went in the tank
yeah I know what one you are talking about. it can but it also could read incorrectly in a big way. water flow could mess with the reading and possibility of sand/ salt building up or other minerals or algae. well anything in the water. cleaning it will help keep it top notch just use distilled or ro/di water than tank water to clean.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the salt water guage right?
I have one of those mounted in my tank at all times
I highly recommend a refractometer. Keeping salinity stable is above all else, very important. Do you have an auto top off (ATO) to keep salinity stable when saltwater evaporates? I also recommend you do a little more research. This hobby isn’t easy but having the proper equipment helps make it much easier. Good luck!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, but that's just not true.
regular IO has plenty of Ca, Mg and Alk.

J.
my sentament was ment to be simple and to the point. instant ocean salt is not sufficient for corals but could keep them alive. the levels that instant ocean provides is not meant for a reef tank it is meant for fish considering they have a reef specific salt but don't take my word for it ask instant ocean.. They make two driftnet salts for a reason unless you are confused and did not see the salt In his picture. You do not get trace elements like a reef salt, anouther factor to consider. Instant ocean also does not state on its packaging the parameters for its salt ( ca alk mg ) witch means they most likely are not regulating the salt as closely as a reef salt and could lead to a swing in parameters witch is undesired. he is not testing for these factors witch would mean he wants a reef salt that is being regulated and tested vs a instant ocean salt that does not even state what the salt has in it. I am sure we can take the time to find all this out form instant ocean maybe even e-mail them. granted instant ocean salt has been around for a wail and people do use it. let me ask you this would you buy the instant ocean salt stated it is for a reef or none reef salt for corals... The reef salt is what you want. This thread is trying to lead the op in the right direction not the opposite. sorry for the long rant but the path to succeed is to move forward.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sentament was ment to be simple and to the point. instant ocean salt is not sufficient for corals but could keep them alive. the levels that instant ocean provides is not meant for a reef tank it is meant for fish considering they have a reef specific salt but don't take my word for it ask instant ocean.. They make two driftnet salts for a reason unless you are confused and did not see the salt In his picture. You do not get trace elements like a reef salt, anouther factor to consider. Instant ocean also does not state on its packaging the parameters for its salt ( ca alk mg ) witch means they most likely are not regulating the salt as closely as a reef salt and could lead to a swing in parameters witch is undesired. he is not testing for these factors witch would mean he wants a reef salt that is being regulated and tested vs a instant ocean salt that does not even state what the salt has in it. I am sure we can take the time to find all this out form instant ocean maybe even e-mail them. granted instant ocean salt has been around for a wail and people do use it. let me ask you this would you buy the instant ocean salt stated it is for a reef or none reef salt for corals... The reef salt is what you want. This thread is trying to lead the op in the right direction not the opposite. sorry for the long rant but the path to succeed is to move forward.
The vast majority of people using Instant Ocean just use the normal one, it has (natural seawater) levels of calcium, alkalinity, & magnesium. The more expensive “reef salt” version is simply higher in those areas and wouldn’t normally be used unless you have a high demand tank. But people will just start dosing when they get to that point because it’s way cheaper.

Also OP how big is your tank? Your zoa simply isn’t happy they should open within hours most likely it’s the cheap light. That would be the best use of money moving forward, no need to buy the expensive salt with such a new tank.

This light is $60 and working for me

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

where are you getting your information from?

let's see what IO has to say about their salt, ok?

Instant Ocean® is formulated to provide a solution with levels of calcium and magnesium found in natural seawater (NSW), assuming you use purified water to dissolve the sea salt. Tap water most often contains dissolved calcium, magnesium and other minerals that will add to the levels provided by Instant Ocean®. The specific gravity of NSW is typically 1.026 (35 parts per thousand, or ppt, salinity). When dissolved in pure water to a specific gravity of 1.026, Instant Ocean® should provide a solution that has 400 mg/L calcium ion and 1320 mg/L magnesium ion.

J.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of people using Instant Ocean just use the normal one, it has (natural seawater) levels of calcium, alkalinity, & magnesium. The more expensive “reef salt” version is simply higher in those areas and wouldn’t normally be used unless you have a high demand tank. But people will just start dosing when they get to that point because it’s way cheaper.

Also OP how big is your tank? Your zoa simply isn’t happy they should open within hours most likely it’s the cheap light. That would be the best use of money moving forward, no need to buy the expensive salt with such a new tank.

This light is $60 and working for me

Its a 20g and as i said earlier they are opening just not big the pic is zoomed in as much as it could its a tiny little crap frag they open to the point they are flat on top but theres like no head to them

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean... post a pic of them open. Then we can see for sure if they’re opening up as much as they should.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean... post a pic of them open. Then we can see for sure if they’re opening up as much as they should.
[/QUOTE
best i can do only the one in the middle is open

15667254202641736116038516436081.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back