Coral ID?

aleedabdybdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First-time poster, long-time follower of Reef2Reef. My cousin just picked up a 20 gallon used tank and we were able to identify all of the coral variations in it except this thing. It's about the size of a zoa polyp but looks more like a mushroom. It's the only one in the tank and there are no other mushrooms in the tank but is it maybe a baby Juggernaut Bounce, or St. Thomas shroom? I'm kind of baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

messages_0.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it could be a baby fungia (plate). Although I would expect these to be on a skeleton of a dead one. But the tentacles and inflation look like it.
Could be a shroom of some kind especially if some were already in the tank. Although the tentacles are weird for that type of coral.
Maybe a rock nem, but tentacles look a bit off.

If I had to pick one, I would guess a plate coral baby by the tentacles and structure of the mouth.

OP
OP
aleedabdybdr

aleedabdybdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! This has all been super helpful and SUPER fast, don't know why I waited so long to post. Thanks to everyone for their input!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First-time poster, long-time follower of Reef2Reef. My cousin just picked up a 20 gallon used tank and we were able to identify all of the coral variations in it except this thing. It's about the size of a zoa polyp but looks more like a mushroom. It's the only one in the tank and there are no other mushrooms in the tank but is it maybe a baby Juggernaut Bounce, or St. Thomas shroom? I'm kind of baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

messages_0.jpeg
So cute! I'm pretty sure it's a baby plate coral! -Raven

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote blasto.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say a baby Fungia or Cycloseris, but it also kinda looks like a Lithophyllon. Unfortunately some corals are hard to identify by appearance alone. A macroscopic view of the skeleton is the best bet, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back