Coral/Invert QT lighting questions

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a quarantine system for corals and inverts this weekend and was wondering if this would work:
I was wondering if a T8 fixture with a Plant light bulb in it would work? Or if I used one of those clip on lights with a Plant bulb?

I don't know the par or anything, or if it would even be sufficient enough to provide light to the corals placed in it, just a thought though.
Anyone have any experience with this?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need proper reef lighting over a coral QT. The corals are going to be in the tank for 76 days or more. That’s a long time time to be under sub-optimal lighting and plenty of time for the corals to get upset and possibly die. if you are on a budget some cheap china black box LEDs should do fine.

OP
OP
Stege_saurus

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need proper reef lighting over a coral QT. The corals are going to be in the tank for 76 days or more. That’s a long time time to be under sub-optimal lighting and plenty of time for the corals to get upset and possibly die. if you are on a budget some cheap china black box LEDs should do fine.
Would you be able to provide a link to a decent one? I don't wanna buy one and it doesn't work properly...

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And sorry. Things like a couple sunblasters with T5's, or a fixture off amazon with t5's, or a blackbox LED will all work fine for a QT. I'd be partial to T5's, that way you don't have to worry about par burning anything like a blackbox can if not properly set. If your'e using them periodically, that bulb set will last you probably 3-4 years. Or even ask locally, I know around here people give away T5's that they've relamped, and since many still do so prematurely they still have plenty of usable life in them.

OP
OP
Stege_saurus

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And sorry. Things like a couple sunblasters with T5's, or a fixture off amazon with t5's, or a blackbox LED will all work fine for a QT. I'd be partial to T5's, that way you don't have to worry about par burning anything like a blackbox can if not properly set. If your'e using them periodically, that bulb set will last you probably 3-4 years.
I have T5s for my DT, which are bit costly, and my QT for inverts and corals is only about 10-15g. I don't think there's a T5 small enough to fit it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back