Coral/Invert QT questions...

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first QT for corals and inverts and am wanting to add snails, particularly nassirius snails somewhat soon but wondering if I should use sand... if so live or dry.

I'll be using a filter sponge for bacteria but worried about the snails having enough to eat in a new system especially if I go bare bottom or dry sand.

Should I just go dry sand and do 75 days with just coral to give the sand and glass time to build up a food supply before adding any cuc?

Also, will dipping the corals before putting them in the QT hurt inverts? I know copper will, but I don't know much about coral dips like coral rx..

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first QT for corals and inverts and am want to add snails, particularly nassirius snails somewhat soon but wondering if I should use sand... if so live or dry.

I'll be using a filter sponge for bacteria but worried about the snails having enough to eat in a new system especially if I go bare bottom or dry sand.

Should I just go dry sand and do 75 days with just coral to give the sand and glass time to build up a food supply before adding any cuc?

Also, will dipping the corals before putting them in the QT hurt inverts? I know copper will, but I don't know much about coral dips like coral rx..

Thanks for any advice

Isolation for clean up crew is an on-going issue. More dealers are holding their CUC in fishless systems and that helps. However, if you are going to be holding the invertebrates fishless for 76 days, then it doesn't really matter, I'd start the QT up with LR from an established tank. Regarding coral dips - I'll have to defer to others, I don't bring new corals in very often and don't use dips.

Here is an article I posted recently on biosecurity:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isolation for clean up crew is an on-going issue. More dealers are holding their CUC in fishless systems and that helps. However, if you are going to be holding the invertebrates fishless for 76 days, then it doesn't really matter, I'd start the QT up with LR from an established tank. Regarding coral dips - I'll have to defer to others, I don't bring new corals in very often and don't use dips.

Here is an article I posted recently on biosecurity:

Jay Hemdal

Thanks, any thoughts on the sand?

I saw some mention going bare bottom but having a shallow container with sand from your DT in it for the sand sifters.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, any thoughts on the sand?

I saw some mention going bare bottom but having a shallow container with sand from your DT in it for the sand sifters.
Since the sand would be going fallow along with the invertebrates, there is no additional risk by using sand from a DT.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back