Coral Keeper's 65 gallon Mangrove tank diary.

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have already have a 65 gallon glass tank, got it drilled today and got a bulk head.
party.gif
I also have Mangrove's which are growing out in my other tanks while I get this tank up and running. Its going to be hooked/plumbed up to my 180 gallon mixed reef.(here is the link if you want to check it out: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f52/coral-keepers-180-gallon-reef-diary-23381.html ) This tank is going to have a 12-13 inch sand bed. There's going to be about 350 lb of sand. Don't worry about the cost of the sand, I have my resources. The livestock will include:
Garden Eels(don't worry, I've done my research ;-) ), Mangroves, Stargrass (halophila engelmannii)(its a type of carpeting algae/plant), and a few tiny fish like Yellow Clown Gobies or something like that. I am currently filling it up with RO/DI water. So, it should be up and running soon.
party.gif

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tiny fish and garden eels.... all the garden eels i've seen i would fully expect to eat clown gobies...

Other than that this looks very exciting, cant wait to see it! Im missing FW planted tanks a little so I love nice display refuguim style tanks

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an update! I plumbed the tank into the 180 gallon and filled the 65 gallon with water and 13 inches of sand and everything works like a charm!!
party.gif
party.gif
The water is a bit cloudy tho. Will post pictures tomorrow!

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures like I promised.

Tank getting filled.
amehxi.jpg

Me dumping 350 lb of sand into the tank which makes 13 inches.
j08ttx.jpg

2hzd6f.jpg

2dudvud.jpg

The pictures above were tank yesterday. I have since added some corals, a few critters, and some mangroves. Will post a video later today and possibly some pictures either today or tomorrow. Enjoy! :)

RadReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to rain on your parade but I've read of aquarists mangroves actually rooting into the tanks silicone and ruining the aquarium. It's like what a elm or oak does to a sidewalk. Just something to consider.....

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it'll be an awesome tank. How hard are mangroves to grow? They put up with a lot of salinity fluctuation in the wild, but what about in captivity. Easy, hard, or in between?

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it'll be an awesome tank. How hard are mangroves to grow? They put up with a lot of salinity fluctuation in the wild, but what about in captivity. Easy, hard, or in between?
Thanks! They are pretty easy. Its moderate, you have to spray the leaves with FW to wash off all the salt every other day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back