Coral Light broke - how long can they go till I get new one?

Cynful

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blues on my coral light broke last night, at least they won't turn on. The whites still work, just not blues. I have to return this to amazon and then reorder a new one once they give me the gift balance. How long can my corals go without blue light? Any suggestions? I have zoas, a duncan, galaxea, gsp, daisy clove polyps and a leather.

Thanks,
Cyn

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’s be inclined to source a replacement first. The longer you leave them the more stressed they’ll become. All depends on how much you’ve invested in your corals. Myself, I wouldn’t leave them without proper light for more than a few days.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blues on my coral light broke last night, at least they won't turn on. The whites still work, just not blues. I have to return this to amazon and then reorder a new one once they give me the gift balance. How long can my corals go without blue light? Any suggestions? I have zoas, a duncan, galaxea, gsp, daisy clove polyps and a leather.

Thanks,
Cyn
Do you have any other light available to you?

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it's only white leds, no blues.

Cyn

Zero light 3 to 5 days. As that's how long at most corals travel from supplier/exporter to importer/LFS across the globe. Longer than that you'll definitely lose your corals.

White only, weeks or even months....but you will probably lose all color and everything will brown out and growth will come to a stand still.

So basically white led only is better than nothing... and should only be a last resort until you get a new light. And when you do, it will be wise to re acclimate your corals to the new lights.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Cyn
People to 3-4 day blacks outs for algae control and have little to no damage on corals

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light will be alright until you get blues in. Metal halide spectrum tended toward white end with great results for years. Blues are utilized by corals but are also for viewing pleasure. If the PAR is high enough the coral will get by. Much worse to have too much light than not enough. Could dose aminos in the meantime if you are concerned about nutrition or bleaching.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just next day a cheapo amazon black box for $50 till you get a proper replacement.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just next day a cheapo amazon black box for $50 till you get a proper replacement.
Definitely an option. Be cautious acclimating or searching though; some of those fixtures put out eye melting par with no adjustment.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back