Coral Lineage

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a thread going on right now in RC's selling forum about a Tyree watermelon chalice and people are requesting proof that it's the real deal via lineage. I'm posting this here because I see the lineage thing more in SPS (or maybe I just pay more attention to it). How can someone really prove that they got this coral from so-and-so unless they can dig up a thread or something? Are we getting so petty that we need to start making up "pedigrees" like they do with dogs and horses? I think it's kind of silly, but at the same time if I were going to pay $275 for something the size of a pencil eraser I would either a) want to buy it straight from the LE source (Tyree in this case, Sniper SPS with the sunset monti, etc) or b) have some kind of idea where it came from. What are your opinions? I generally keep track of where and when I got my corals (and fish too) just for my own sake, but I know not everyone does this. What do you think...should we start "pedigreeing" our corals? :hammer:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a link?

but the short answer to your question...is yes we are picky about lineage...the big reason is b/c there IS a difference b/w these very expensive corals, and the cheaper ones.

and in the case of the watermelon, there are SO many variations of different color intensity comming in from the wild now. its almost impossible to differentiate by a picture alone anymore b/c pictures rarely ever represent the brightness, or flourescence of a coral.

IMO...if you expect to ask $100+ for a small frag of anything, expect to get questions about where you got it from.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw that thread and rolled my eyes...he seemed to have raised his price from $75 to $275. and for a frag that's the size of my booger on its small days..:rolleyes:

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the linage thing can be played out just a little

i have the purple monster and i bought it from a guy that i trust to tell were he got it from (sandollar but bought it a long time ago and couldnt prove that it was)i bought it spending over 150.00 and it was the real deal

tyree wasnt the first person with these corals, just remember that

chads29

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is in fact the same color as the origional i do not believe lineage matters. The truth is that it could be from the same colony in the wild and who would ever know. If some one wants a coral bad enough and doesn't want to wait 2 years to obtain a piece of it from the LE source and the price is right I say go for it. If someone is misrepresenting the coral with a different color morph of the coral then I believe it is fair to let them know. Some of the prices are silly on some corals but if someone is willing to pay that price great do it.

SteveO

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ming emailed me a while back about the JNS UFO after I posted a bunch of pics. I believe there are still 4 people with this coral locally. My Jake from Razercorals, fritz from reefstock and Tico mIke the former president of TCMAS, and you I guees. This coral is far from gone, but you are right about it being on the spendy side. Jake sold a piece to a guy that flew in from CA to pick it out personally

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is in fact the same color as the origional i do not believe lineage matters. The truth is that it could be from the same colony in the wild and who would ever know. If some one wants a coral bad enough and doesn't want to wait 2 years to obtain a piece of it from the LE source and the price is right I say go for it. If someone is misrepresenting the coral with a different color morph of the coral then I believe it is fair to let them know. Some of the prices are silly on some corals but if someone is willing to pay that price great do it.

well, you do have a point to which i agree, BUT....you missed one part.

COLOR isn't everything that makes a coral brilliant and unique. it could be the exact same colors in the picture, but in person the coral is much brighter, and flouresces alot more (which the camera cant pick up in a picture).

IMO that is what makes alot of these LE's.

i know someone who has about 7 different versions of "THE" watermelon chalice. they all look different. the tyree one is hands down the brightest of the bunch, and worth every penny of the $250 they paid for it.

the others while cool, i wouldnt pay more than $50 for.

its a subtle difference, that only the trained eye can differentiate in person. that is why people ask for lineage since a picture CANNOT show the differences.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bet its some random wild watermelon, didnt come from tyree or hugo lineage......

people called him out on it, and thats why he hasnt defended himself by giving a lineage.....instead he calls the RC mods in for crowd control...

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking it's the watermelon that Mike has at DLC. Maybe he'll chime in here. He was selling frags for around $80. Next time I go there, I'm hoping to get a piece.

toddman74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am personally not into the originator thing... I can deal with the coral naming which gives away who it came from... ie. whodal cat's eyes, doughnutz micro, and others. But to say that it's Tyree or Tub's or Jendub's or Doc's or any of the many recognized reefer is too overboard. Being that the coral morphs exist in nature / the wild... they're not cross breed like flowers by human intervention to be able to be named after someone. It's like the saying chris columbus "discovered" america.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thonk what that thing is about is because that guy always asks other people selling it's lineage. I see him always tire kicking and asking those kinds of questions. I think the people doing it is karma coming back. LOL

SteveO

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole time Jerry had that at his place I wanted to get a frag, but he wasn't budging much on the price. Then all the sudden he said it died and I was bummed. One day I was at fritz's getting a sea monster and seen frags of it. I got a 1 mouth frag that was super tiny, but it seems to be growing, got three mouths now. I'm glad I got that picture linked above of the mother colony at least before it went. Sure was sweet.

Thats one of my favorite. I got mine when he still had the colony, but I had to win it of eBay. Good thing I knew what it was and that his camera wasnt very good

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is a ******... I asked him awhile back for a piece of this and he TOLD ME it was not the true watermelon;
He then tried to sell a piece of it to my friend for $200 plus shipping.
Then about a month later I pm'ed him again and asked for a piece he said $250 plus shipping and stated it was the legit piece.
I preceeded to go thru my pm's and show him that HE told me it was not the true piece.
Then I saw it up on Ebay, it didnt sell... what a surprise and now it is back on RC for the highest price I have ever seen... that is the price of a Tyree Red Watermelon.

IME this guy is just looking to make a buck and I do not think it is right. I like the fact that people are calling him out of this because it all points to him lying...

Last edited:

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I got a ROAB Watermelon from Matt Hopper for $115 that was 1.5" long and about 3/5" wide. IMO this Watermelon is much hotter than the Tyree, but I am getting a Tyree WAtermelon this Tuesday so I cannot complain :) :p

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is a ******... I asked him awhile back for a piece of this and he TOLD ME it was not the true watermelon;
He then tried to sell a piece of it to my friend for $200 plus shipping.
Then about a month later I pm'ed him again and asked for a piece he said $250 plus shipping and stated it was the legit piece.
I preceeded to go thru my pm's and show him that HE told me it was not the true piece.
Then I saw it up on Ebay, it didnt sell... what a surprise and now it is back on RC for the highest price I have ever seen... that is the price of a Tyree Red Watermelon.

IME this guy is just looking to make a buck and I do not think it is right. I like the fact that people are calling him out of this because it all points to him lying...

Do you still have that PM? If so, post it here :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back