Coral? More cleanup crew ?

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I have a saltwater aquarium that I got fish for in October 2020 I am now ready for coral and more cleanup crew if I need it
What type of coral would be best for this tank I like zoas but I am reluctant because of the toxins they have and how many more hermit crabs / snails should I get ?
I already have 2 clownfish ,2 snails , 2 hermit crabs , 1 blood shrimp
Any help is much appreciated

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about your setup so we can give the best answers on coral selection. I've always referred to reefcleaners.org and bought the CuC package for half the size of my tank. Cheapest way for the best diversity.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about your setup so we can give the best answers on coral selection. I've always referred to reefcleaners.org and bought the CuC package for half the size of my tank. Cheapest way for the best diversity.
It is 22 gallons 80 litres to be honest I’m being a bit wary on corals as I don’t know what lights and filter I have it is just a second hand setup that someone had would a picture help ?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for sure what lights you're using it will be hard to get good advice. Best bet is to try and research which light you have or bite the bullet and change them for something proven. Otherwise you will lose more money buying coral than a new light would have cost.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for sure what lights you're using it will be hard to get good advice. Best bet is to try and research which light you have or bite the bullet and change them for something proven. Otherwise you will lose more money buying coral than a new light would have cost.
That’s a good point I will have a look at the light I have and if it isn’t great for corals then I will get a new one or I could try small test coral frags see if they are ok if I can’t find what my light is would that work ?

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current light setup and what type of corals are you most interested in?

I know that folks have mixed feelings on Xenia, but this has always been the first coral that I add. It's super hearty and I find it relaxing to watch it pulsate. Plus, it tends to grow very fast - sometimes too fast.

Mushrooms and Zoas (cheap to start with) are also what I start adding to my tanks as they get started.

In terms of CUC, how is your algae? I personally added way too much and now I need to feed them to keep them alive. Not optimal, but required in my case. So, keep that in mind if thinking about an urchin, star, etc.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current light setup and what type of corals are you most interested in?

I know that folks have mixed feelings on Xenia, but this has always been the first coral that I add. It's super hearty and I find it relaxing to watch it pulsate. Plus, it tends to grow very fast - sometimes too fast.

Mushrooms and Zoas (cheap to start with) are also what I start adding to my tanks as they get started.

In terms of CUC, how is your algae? I personally added way too much and now I need to feed them to keep them alive. Not optimal, but required in my case. So, keep that in mind if thinking about an urchin, star, etc.
Yes i have just noticed some brownish orange looking algae in my tank today think it’s diatoms but not sure
I like the Xenia’s but I’m not to keen about reaching into my tank to cut them so they don’t grow to quick so I don’t want to be constantly having my arms in the tank but I love watching them too
I don’t know what I want really about corals but I like things like anenomies and Xenia’s that flow with the water a bit rather than the solid ones like hard corals
I do like some mushrooms though
And I am thinking of a sea urchin or a sea star

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture the second one has the algae in it that I have seen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 32

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long spine urchins are good for algae and cool looking. Algae is part of a tank progressing and it just part of the deal. If you do want a xenia just purchase a small rock along with it. Leave it on its own island and you won't have to worry about it spreading. As for anemone they are fickle. I'd wait at least 9 months from your first cycle to get one. Start with gsp (on its own island) zoas and mushrooms

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long spine urchins are good for algae and cool looking. Algae is part of a tank progressing and it just part of the deal. If you do want a xenia just purchase a small rock along with it. Leave it on its own island and you won't have to worry about it spreading. As for anemone they are fickle. I'd wait at least 9 months from your first cycle to get one. Start with gsp (on its own island) zoas and mushrooms
Great thanks are long spines dangerous ? I was thinking more of the short spine ones as it’s my first marine tank

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have just noticed some brownish orange looking algae in my tank today think it’s diatoms but not sure
I like the Xenia’s but I’m not to keen about reaching into my tank to cut them so they don’t grow to quick so I don’t want to be constantly having my arms in the tank but I love watching them too
I don’t know what I want really about corals but I like things like anenomies and Xenia’s that flow with the water a bit rather than the solid ones like hard corals
I do like some mushrooms though
And I am thinking of a sea urchin or a sea star

Fair enough and we all have our tolerances, but do you mind me asking why you don't want to reach into your tank?

It is kind of part of the hobby and we move stuff around a lot in the beginning and it's pretty cool! IMHO, hand feeding my pets is one of the joys of reefing. Clowns, corals, shrimp, and nem's eating (okay so this one is more like dropping) right out of your hand.

As Jekyl mentioned, Nems are finicky and really require high lighting to thrive. I had a GTA and RTA in my 36g bow 8 years ago and they loved the ATI T5's. But, they got really ***** about flow changes and algae due to lack of maintance and phosphate filled rocks. (3 year established tank bought used)

Shrimps climbing on your arm and hand cleaning you and of course most corals you will want to frag at some point.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough and we all have our tolerances, but do you mind me asking why you don't want to reach into your tank?

It is kind of part of the hobby and we move stuff around a lot in the beginning and it's pretty cool! IMHO, hand feeding my pets is one of the joys of reefing. Clowns, corals, shrimp, and nem's eating (okay so this one is more like dropping) right out of your hand.

Shrimps climbing on your arm and hand cleaning you and of course most corals you will want to frag at some point.
I don’t know really I’m just scared that it could make me ill but if I need to for my fish then I will after doing a bit more research i think the Xenia’s will spread to quickly but I have found torch corals that I love the look of

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know really I’m just scared that it could make me ill but if I need to for my fish then I will after doing a bit more research i think the Xenia’s will spread to quickly but I have found torch corals that I love the look of

Understood and I recommend these long sleeve gloves if you are concerned.

They are pretty cheap and I have never had any issue with dexterity wearing them. Granted, I only wear them intermittently since I grew up in a bay/ocean environment... we were not worried about the salt water, but the oil slicks and nasty knee high mud.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks are long spines dangerous ? I was thinking more of the short spine ones as it’s my first marine tank
Short-spine are barely dangerous, poked the guy at the LFS as he was getting it and did nothing. Long-spines are more dangerous, he has been stabbed by one and his whole hand swole up. But that's besides the point, a long-spine will get much too big for a 20 gallon. I'd recommend a short-spine, tuxedo, or pincushion urchin. All great urchins. I have a short-spine and love him

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood and I recommend these long sleeve gloves if you are concerned.

They are pretty cheap and I have never had any issue with dexterity wearing them. Granted, I only wear them intermittently since I grew up in a bay/ocean environment... we were not worried about the salt water, but the oil slicks and nasty knee high mud.

That’s a good idea I hadn’t thought of that thank you :)

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short-spine are barely dangerous, poked the guy at the LFS as he was getting it and did nothing. Long-spines are more dangerous, he has been stabbed by one and his whole hand swole up. But that's besides the point, a long-spine will get much too big for a 20 gallon. I'd recommend a short-spine, tuxedo, or pincushion urchin. All great urchins. I have a short-spine and love him
I have looked into pincushion ps and tuxedos before and I like then would they be ok with coral?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked into pincushion ps and tuxedos before and I like then would they be ok with coral?
All urchins might knock them over if they're not glued down. Pincushions have a tendency to pick anything up that's loose, including corals. I have all my corals slightly glued down and haven't had an issue with my short spine. All my rock isn't glued down either and I haven't seen him move any at all either.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All urchins might knock them over if they're not glued down. Pincushions have a tendency to pick anything up that's loose, including corals. I have all my corals slightly glued down and haven't had an issue with my short spine. All my rock isn't glued down either and I haven't seen him move any at all either.
Ah that’s great thanks

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for cleanup crew i have been recommended these from reefcleaners.org
20 dwarf Ceriths
7 Nassarius vibex
9 Florida Ceriths
5 Assorted Hermits
6 Nerites
i have only heard of hermit crabs before out of these so i will have to do more research but are these a good option for my tank ?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back