Coral not fully open, pls help....

brianle0612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Im kind of new here so I need some help, My coral doesnt look happy and not fully open like 3 weeks ago. My tank is 1.5 years old, Only thing I changed around is the flow and changed the salt because my alk was too high 13.0 so now its 10.2 after using new salt for 2 weeks. All the other parameters look not bad too me:
Alk 10.2
Salt .025
Phos 0.12
Calcium 490
Temp 70. Im using reef breeder 48 inches v2 photon. What should I change or do to get them back fully open ? Thanks for all advices

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the parameters you listed everything seems normal except that phosphate is .12, I would try to get this slightly lower. Also what are you nitrates?

Secondly not sure if typo or not but the 70 degree temp seems a bit low, I would try to get that up to atleast 74 or if not higher.

Its hard to tell whats going on with the coral because you could just list your current parameters, but consistency in the parameter is whats key.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Changes can cause issues and temp imo should be 77 or 78

OP
OP
B

brianle0612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the parameters you listed everything seems normal except that phosphate is .12, I would try to get this slightly lower. Also what are you nitrates?

Secondly not sure if typo or not but the 70 degree temp seems a bit low, I would try to get that up to atleast 74 or if not higher.

Its hard to tell whats going on with the coral because you could just list your current parameters, but consistency in the parameter is whats key.
I will try to move the temp up a bit, and low the phos is what im working on now. Toltally agree that consistancy is the key. Thank you sir

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to move the temp up a bit, and low the phos is what im working on now. Toltally agree that consistancy is the key. Thank you sir
Chemipure elite works well to manage phos

SindoCanales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like previously stated lower your phosphates but not with chemipure unless your trying to control your nitrates as well if it’s only
Phosphates then Use GFO carefully since it could strip them completely. Usually I use a bit less then recommended so it works slowly

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate at .12 with alk at 10.2 isn't an issue imo. What's your nitrate? Have you always run this tank at 70 deg? That is definitely on the low side for temp.

OP
OP
B

brianle0612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys my temp is 78 as always. I dont check nitrate oftenly so will test it tomorrow then. My coral keep closing, especially hammer and frospawgn. All my torches r doing ok so far. So nitrate and phosphate might the problem tight ?

BilboLaggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This table seems to help me when I'm in trouble

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220825-095318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-095318_Chrome.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 39

BilboLaggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I notice ur calcium is 490 and to me seems a bit high try lowing that and keeping ur alk and calcium consistent.

BilboLaggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target for po4 is 0.0?
Must be an older chart.
Yeah I'm not sure on the age of the post. THe chart was Shared with me I'm new to the hobby and am learning as I go. what would u say po4 target should be? Any other parameters that would need a update?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the levels you have posted are alarming or an obvious cause of your corals being closed up. But a large swing of those levels is a different story. Alk dropping from 13 to 10.2 over two weeks is fine, but what else may have changed?

How long have you had the coral before you started to notice something 3 weeks ago?

What salt were you using and what did you switch to?

How large of a water change are you performing?

A full tank shot can be helpful in diagnosing issues.

In the meantime, I'd run carbon and a polyfilter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back