Coral nutrition help

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asked this on another thread of mine but it got no response, I'm having a fading issue with my sps colors. We narrowed it down to not having proper nutrients amd a slightly low alk for thid....as it turns out I'm running 0 No3 and Po4. At any rate I'm looking at getting either: the Red sea part A and B combo or the Korallen-Zucht coral system for non zeovit tanks, to help with nutrition. Any input on these?

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, dosing no3 and po4 is much easier to control. I can literally control if I want 1 ppm or 3 ppm. No delay effect waiting for the the food to decay, for people who like to just feed more.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look at lowering your light level, and it would be easier to dose no3 and po4 directly imo.

Both of those methods imo, would equate to just feeding more.
Lowered the light level and raised alk already like I had mentioned in that other thread. Just wanted to know input on this particular part.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowered the light level and raised alk already like I had mentioned in that other thread. Just wanted to know input on this particular part.
Understood and addressed.
Alk imo. Is likely not the issue as it has no impact on coloration I belive.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then it probably comes down to No3 and Po4 then?

Does bulk reerf supply have No3 and Po4?
It could be. I'd get second and third opinions on it. I haven seen the coral so I don't know if it's actually a concern at all.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then it probably comes down to No3 and Po4 then?

Does bulk reerf supply have No3 and Po4?

I don't think BRS carries any of those. I've been using some KNO3 off ebay. People have been using Spectracide Stump Remover Granules (HG-66420). I bought some when it was on sale. I haven't tried it yet. Consider KNO3 is as cheap as it can be. I think it should work just fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GVYXKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was another thread people were talking about dosing both No3 and Po4 together. Asking how much each they need to dose. You may want to look at that thread for more detail. It's in the chemistry forum.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the two that are the worst on fading. Sorry for the crap phone pics and you can't really tell very well bit they are pretty pale

df6e62c30274939a49be077f4931c7ee.jpg
8f57a374f8f3bba81c86fdbea0657fb7.jpg

Danny Venditti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea sells a coral colors 4 part I believe but have you thought of doing a Triton test to check other levels as well. just a thought. if anything it may at least validate what you know and give you a baseline to work with.
there is also aqua forest 3 part dosing

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought if a Triton test but haven't really wanted to spend the money

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend to feed more to elevate N and P. Finally you are not dosing for your test kit but for your corals. It doesn´t matter if you can measure anything, the well being of your corals matters. The danger to create imbalances by dosing Nitrate and Phosphate is in my eyes similar big as the chance to better the conditions for your corals.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend to feed more to elevate N and P. Finally you are not dosing for your test kit but for your corals. It doesn´t matter if you can measure anything, the well being of your corals matters. The danger to create imbalances by dosing Nitrate and Phosphate is in my eyes similar big as the chance to better the conditions for your corals.
This I understand lol I just am not sure why they are fading, they seem to be doing a bit better with less light and more reef chili. Haven't gotten any coral nutrition products to dose yet so Its still up in the air as to what exactly the issue is.........somthing I forgot to mention the system is fishless at the moment and will be for another 2 months. So no fish poop or anything. Also it has a very large skimmer for a 20g and a large fuge.

So it's basically and ulns without zeovit or anything. That's why I'm interested to try a system ment for suedo ulns

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont make changes to quickly whatever route you take. Adding aminos like acro power can help with low nutrients as well. Feed the fish a bit more, some good frozen food and reef nutrition oyster feast will help too.
No fish in the system atm lol. Also yes of corse thank you for the reminder to take it slow

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish in the system atm lol. Also yes of corse thank you for the reminder to take it slow
Ahh there in is the problem, no fish, no waste from the fish, no nitrates or phosphates.

Are you dosing?

Back