Coral nutrition help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can calculate exactly when the food you feed become Nitrate and Phosphate, and also how much of those become so, it would be a rocket science.

Timing is hard, but nearly all of the N and P in foods ends up in the water. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can calculate exactly when the food you feed become Nitrate and Phosphate, and also how much of those become so, it would be a rocket science.
Good point. But, We don't do that for our dogs cats vegetable gardens nor ourselves.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. But, We don't do that for our dogs cats vegetable gardens nor ourselves.

It only matter when you are in a closed environment. Whatever you feed today, tomorrow, or a week after, they are eventually become N and P in the same environment. Just imagine you lock your dog in a 2x4 box. You keep feeding him without taking the poop out. That's kind of extreme, but that's the idea.

The idea of dosing is that you have literally the EXACT amount of N and P you want. You don't have to wait 2 days or a week. You dose it, you get it. And it won't all of a sudden have more N and P comes out because something finally decomposed.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only matter when you are in a closed environment. Whatever you feed today, tomorrow, or a week after, they are eventually become N and P in the same environment. Just imagine you lock your dog in a 2x4 box. You keep feeding him without taking the poop out. That's kind of extreme, but that's the idea.

The idea of dosing is that you have literally the EXACT amount of N and P you want. You don't have to wait 2 days or a week. You dose it, you get it. And it won't all of a sudden have more N and P comes out because something finally decomposed.
I don't belive your analogy is correct
The dog and I don't absorb the poop through our skin. So we can't lower our n p by cleaning our environment. (Wc) if there's too much.

The bacteria in my gut breaks down the food into n and p.

N p dosing is fine. But the imo I'm advocating is purely based on I prefer a pet over a science project. Both work equally well I'm told.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way. Let's talk dog and vegetable. Let's say dog poop can directly consume by vegetable. In a normal fish tank, in this case, dog and vegi. You can just feed the dog more and the vegi has more neutrient.

In the OP case, she has no dog. She is saying her vegi is turning white. She need more nutrient. People just telling her, don't worry. Just feed the ground. Put a piece of steak on the ground. It'll eventually become N and P. It's not rocket science.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing. People keep telling her to just feed them more. Eventually, all of them gonna come out and become N and P, at an uncontrollable rate.

I'm not sure what is uncontrolled about it, unless you care exactly what time of day nutrients are being released. That's interesting to me, and possibly important (but most likely not). :D

If you feed a tank every day, nutrients are coming out every day. If you feed basically the same thing every day, you'll get basically the same nutrients released every day, within reason. From a given feeding, some might come out today, some tomorrow, and some the next day, but it will all average out to a reasonably steady rate.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way. Let's talk dog and vegetable. Let's say dog poop can directly consume by vegetable. In a normal fish tank, in this case, dog and vegi. You can just feed the dog more and the vegi has more neutrient.

In the OP case, she has no dog. She is saying her vegi is turning white. She need more nutrient. People just telling her, don't worry. Just feed the ground. Put a piece of steak on the ground. It'll eventually become N and P. It's not rocket science.
Lol. Good one.

If you put a fish in the hole where you put your plant it will feed the plant.
If you want to feed the plant faster chop up the fish and let it rot.

The dog will dig it up and get yelled at.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Good one.

If you put a fish in the hole where you put your plant it will feed the plant.
If you want to feed the plant faster chop up the fish and let it rot.

The dog will dig it up and get yelled at.

My dog would love it, but he's deaf so I try to limit yelling at him. :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back