Coral nutrition (Red Sea) making skimmer Overflow

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for coral nutrition to make the skimmer go wild for a while? I'm using their old formula that's two part and needs refrigerating and would rather not have to deal with turning down the skimmer each time i turn it on after the 30 minute dose period.

On that note I'm noticing my war coral Favia isn't a fan of of this product, it started to get some white spots between 'heads'. It's still hard to tell if it's something else or tissue necrosis so im watching it carefully but it started with the dosing of the product. Has anyone noticed certain corals not being a fan of this product? I should say the juice in one bottle smells kinda fishy.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that's a bummer. I usually have it my whole sump/return off but when i turn it back on i have to turn down the skimmer level and bring it back up later which is a pain.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea everyday and have no skimmer issues. I leave the skimmer off about an hour while adding the red sea to the tank.

I'll try leaving it off for longer, usually I do only half an hour.
Do you turn your return off? I'm not sure if I should take my filter sock out too during this time

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try leaving it off for longer, usually I do only half an hour.
Do you turn your return off? I'm not sure if I should take my filter sock out too during this time
I leave it off an hour. But I leave the return on and sock in. Reef chili did cause my skimmer to overflow though but no issues with red sea.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of my corals seem to love the stuff. I have a couple that aren't to happy right now but I think it is due to some parameters being low not the red sea. I sometimes have to make a slight skimmer adjustment to when I turn it back but I think that is because as it starts running it triggers my ATO also and the sump water levels change very slightly for a bit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back