Coral of the Week: NEON GREEN POLYP TOADSTOOL (Sarcophyton elegance)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NEON GREEN POLYP TOADSTOOL
(Sarcophyton elegance)

green_sarco.jpg

Smaller specimens are shaped like a mushroom, however as they grow larger they will take on an interesting folded appearance. When fully open the tops of these leather corals are covered with numerous polyps about 1 cm in length. As with most leather corals they may go through periods when their polyps do not extend. They may shrink and shed some of their outer skin. Do not be alarmed if this should occur it is a natural process that they go through. These leathers may remain closed for several weeks at a time, but will reopen bigger and more beautiful than ever. They require moderate water currents and moderate to high reef lighting for proper health. Additions of iodine will help to expedite their growth.

Green Polyp Toadstool Leather Corals can be cultured by cutting off a piece of the crown and using a rubber band to hold the piece between two small pieces of live rock. Place the cultured piece back in the aquarium with the parent and allow it time to grow. When provided with proper water conditions and iodine Leather Corals can double in size every six to nine months. Make sure that moderate currents will be able to supply them with necessary nutrients and trace elements. Leave several inches around Green Polyp Toadstool Leather Coral, they will need more room as they grow.

Although symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae hosted within them supply most of their nutritional requirements through photosynthesis they do require supplemental feedings. Supplementing their diet with the addition of iodine, trace elements, marine snow, phytoplankton, and food for filter feeders will help to insure their continued good health.
Info Link

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please submit your pictures and experience with this coral!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These is seriously one of my favorite corals.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to post a link to You Tube? But if you search- reef tank 8 foot. You can see how big toad stools can get. And it's a great mixed reef tank, with some large colonies.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those, one of my favorites. Whenever mine closes up, I dip it in a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/tank water mix, and it opens back in a couple days. I never knew they were supposed to close up for more than a few days, so I may rethink that. It got bigger quick, so maybe the dips are good for it?

RDHDDRAGON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is ours. He loves lots of flow. Just sways back and forth all day long. Not as green as your picture, but he does glow green. Really hard to get a good pic under leds. Has grown pretty quickly. Will attatch itself to anything that gets pushed against his stalk.
177421_3534363597515_206176714_o.jpg

jessikarabbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad I read this. I was very worried that we may have done something to ours because it hasnt extended its polyps in a couple of days now. I've moved it higher in our tank and in a better area for water flow. Now its just a waiting game. THanks for the info!

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two of these and both times they would ,like wilt over and die.All other corals in the tank including a regular brown toadstool did great.May try again some day.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a beautiful one at the store its about 11" across and has some heavy folds ill take pics today

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my toadstool!!!! I love it!!!
image.jpg

This is after being closed and covered with algae for two days. I've seen him shed but he always comes back.

Last edited:

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a green and white toadstool, but they grew huge so big to the point of blocking light to other corals. So I sold them to friend of ours and he loves them.

Good for me to, Cuz now I add new corals from our frag tank. .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back