Coral of the Week: Red dragon Acropora

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For this weeks coral of the week edition I want us to share info and pictures about the Red Dragon Acropora!

Unlike some captive strain names, Red Dragon Acro and Strawberry Shortcake refers less to a single strain of coral than a particular morph of SPS coral species, in this case believed to be a red thin-branching Acropora carduus. via ReefBuilders

red1.jpg

image sexycorals.com

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please share your experience and of course your photos! :D

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only photo I got a chance to take, before it RTNd, two days later...

6872640185_b50f32b01a_b.jpg

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they are red bugs the coral is growing and colored. People get too hung up on stuff like that water chemistry allows a coral to maintain an immune system and take care of itself they live with worse in the wild and seem to do just fine. To the owner: Nice frag its coming along nicely just be carefull they break when you even look at em too hard lol.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although there are similar looking carduus out there. I have always considered the "red dragon" to be from the original named piece. The "real" red dragon looks 10x nicer than the pics of the maricultured carduus on the reefbuilders link.

The "Pink Dragon Tales" is another similar A. carduus but it has it's own name.

It bothers me when people apply the same name to every similar looking wild or maricultured acro. It ruined the appeal of the original strawberry shortcake, IMO.

Last edited:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats an old pic. if left alone they will kill the coral as you can see there wasnt any polyp extension in the pic. since i grow small frags on plugs, pests arent a big deal since treatment is easy

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they are red bugs the coral is growing and colored. People get too hung up on stuff like that water chemistry allows a coral to maintain an immune system and take care of itself they live with worse in the wild and seem to do just fine. To the owner: Nice frag its coming along nicely just be carefull they break when you even look at em too hard lol.
thanks. very delicate but a hardy piece for sure

Ostentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to restart my piece after a crash in my old system. I have noticed that this particular grows extremely fast it is in the bottom 1/3 of my 24" deep tank under 20k XM 400w which are 20" off of the water with medium turbulent flow, when fish arent knocking branches off of it. The piece I got came from John Coppolino with lineage back to tony at CITR. The first picture was taken on 7/5 the second on 8/9. In the past 3 weeks it has almost doubled in size from the picture on 8/9. A fish did knock about 3/4 of an inch off the top of the 7/5 picture shortly after it was taken. Also the colors in the second picture are a little washed out, took it quick and didnt worry about camera settings. The coral looks exactly the same in person as in the first picture.
RedDragon7-9-12.jpg

RedDragon.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back