Coral of the Week: Scolymia

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
scoly2-1.jpg

The Scolymia Button Coral is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral and also referred to as the Doughnut, Artichoke, or Disk Coral. It is a round, solitary coral, usually having a single oral opening present in the center, however, multiple openings have been present in some species. The Scolymia Button Coral is found in many different mottled color forms of dark green, red, or brown with cup-, or saucer-, flat-, or dome-shaped variations. It is not an outwardly aggressive coral, but should be provided with plenty of space between itself and other corals because it can expand twice its size during the day.

The Scolymia Button Coral is easy to maintain in the reef aquarium and in the wild, and is often found in association with Tridacna Clams. It makes an excellent choice for both the beginner and advanced reef aquarist. It requires moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the reef aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water. Its feeding tentacles appear during the evening and while exposed, will feed on meaty foods such as micro-plankton or brine shrimp. Info

scoleeey.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please share your scoly pictures and any info or opinions you may have. :)

BTW the first picture is a couple of years old so please don't send messages to this vendor about these scolys. LOL!

Last edited:

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics! Now I want one, but have never seen any in the LFS around here that are as colorful as all of yours!! I guess I will have to keep my eye out :bigsmile:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous pics!!! I cannot keep these guys alive. Anyone words of wisdom is appreciated!!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome scolys everyone!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will these eat small fish/shrimp?

No they will not. They will eat dead ones though if they can fit them in their mouth! HA!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back