Coral of the Week: Wellsophyllia Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia radiata)

thatrugbydude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uzyqu4e4.jpg

Keep reefin my friends, keep reefin!

thatrugbydude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a post about this, mine shrank up on Monday after growing and glowing for months.

Did you change anything? Flow? Lights? Add wild corals? Change parameters? What are your pars? Placement? Last time you fed meat not just phyto or pellets?

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change anything? Flow? Lights? Add wild corals? Change parameters? What are your pars? Placement? Last time you fed meat not just phyto or pellets?

Nothing has changed. Flow and lights are the same, no tank additions, no parameter changes, parameters checked and all are well, been in the same spot for 4+ months and has grown quite well. Gets target fed every Wednesday.

thatrugbydude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing has changed. Flow and lights are the same, no tank additions, no parameter changes, parameters checked and all are well, been in the same spot for 4+ months and has grown quite well. Gets target fed every Wednesday.

Are you dosing aminos? Trace minerals? My welso gets funky when my full spectrum dims as it gets closer to "bedtime" about two hours before lights out, has scared me in the past. Try using your feeding tube and just try blowing it off with that? If you have a qt id probably put it in there, might even do an iodine dip every day for a week if it's possible. Sounds like some bacteria or pest that hasn't found your welso yet finally did. You may have contracted something into your tank from your skin too, a few days seems excessive though. Is the flesh receding anywhere? I have heard a theory that co2 released from thick sand beds causes irritation to sand bed LPS which in excess would make sense, try some siphoning if your sand bed is old. Personally I'd dip it and QT it, and try examining it closely during the iodine dip, constantly irritating the water in the dip container. If it's not getting a lot of flow (as it shouldn't) it may have something just sitting on its soft tissue stressing it out, if that's the case id still take it out and at least dip it, I'd be careful pulling it from the bottom of the tank as to possibly get the pest if it is one, out completely not just lost in translation. In a big enough system it could take months for a pest to find its favorite treat. (My experience---CARNIVOROUS amphiopods! Destroyed every designer name zoa colony I owned, after starving the tank for 2 weeks and purchasing a mellanrus I waited months then purchased bam bams for a third time, watched the carnivorous amphiopods start snacking on it about a month after put in DT, long story short never underestimate the possibility of a pest not being killed off). Do you have a conch or anything with a poisonous defense mechanism? Any anemones near by?

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing aminos? Trace minerals? My welso gets funky when my full spectrum dims as it gets closer to "bedtime" about two hours before lights out, has scared me in the past. Try using your feeding tube and just try blowing it off with that? If you have a qt id probably put it in there, might even do an iodine dip every day for a week if it's possible. Sounds like some bacteria or pest that hasn't found your welso yet finally did. You may have contracted something into your tank from your skin too, a few days seems excessive though. Is the flesh receding anywhere? I have heard a theory that co2 released from thick sand beds causes irritation to sand bed LPS which in excess would make sense, try some siphoning if your sand bed is old. Personally I'd dip it and QT it, and try examining it closely during the iodine dip, constantly irritating the water in the dip container. If it's not getting a lot of flow (as it shouldn't) it may have something just sitting on its soft tissue stressing it out, if that's the case id still take it out and at least dip it, I'd be careful pulling it from the bottom of the tank as to possibly get the pest if it is one, out completely not just lost in translation. In a big enough system it could take months for a pest to find its favorite treat. (My experience---CARNIVOROUS amphiopods! Destroyed every designer name zoa colony I owned, after starving the tank for 2 weeks and purchasing a mellanrus I waited months then purchased bam bams for a third time, watched the carnivorous amphiopods start snacking on it about a month after put in DT, long story short never underestimate the possibility of a pest not being killed off). Do you have a conch or anything with a poisonous defense mechanism? Any anemones near by?

No dosing. I run blues for an hour from 10 to 11. I have not tried to clean him off, mess with him, etc. He started to expand last night and the shrank again through the evening. Today he is shrank up again. Healthy looking, no spine, etc. showing, just not fluffed up.

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is only about 8 months old here. We bought an existing tank and moved it. Not much of a drain on the water and I do a 10% weekly water change presently. He is in a bit of a valley in the sand bed between two base rocks with nothing live anywhere close to him. Good exposure to the LEDs.

thatrugbydude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably do an iodine dip, quarantine if you have a qt and monitor daily, more than likely bacterial, check it at night to see if anything is bothering it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had photography skills and a decent camera, you'd see a bright green edge with purple body. This picture doesn't do it justice.

4c2cfcaf-f77c-44f0-95d1-133753808339_zps174e0be9.jpg

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look more like this?
Looks like you just have 50/50 bulbs in your lights. They really don't do the corals justice.
tepymeha.jpg

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can help in the bringing this coral of the week from 2012 back to life. Ya they soooo pretty

Attachments

• 2014-02-13 22.27.45.jpg
    2014-02-13 22.27.45.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 368
  • 2014-02-13 22.28.59.jpg
    2014-02-13 22.28.59.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 337

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back