Coral only QT tank algae phytoplankton bloom

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I am trying to keep a QT tank with corals and snails (inverts) only, its a 60 lt nano tank with AI 16 prime light. So far it has worked and I have two corals that are reviving nicely after looking dead. i have been feeding Ocean Nutrition Reef Pulse but the water has turned a nice shade of Irish green. The corals seem to be fine but I would prefer to actual see them.

What would you guys feed for a non fish coral tank or any advice to keep the water clear?

Cheers
Al

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV and water change is in my mind for issues like this
I have done a 90% water change. Currently do not have a UV unfortunately. Tank is obviously clearer but I suspect it will go green again soon. I would like to form a natural balance of feeding corals to meet their nutritional needs. What would others use (and how much) for a 60lt coral only tank. Cheers Al

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 90%? That will cause parameters to swing like a flag in the hurricane.
my first lesson of reefing is never try to fix things in 2 minutes try to find the reason instead.

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 90%? That will cause parameters to swing like a flag in the hurricane.
my first lesson of reefing is never try to fix things in 2 minutes try to find the reason instead.
Parameters have remained the same
I am very careful about that, the coral only tank gets a 50% every week sometimes twice as I do not dose or have any other filtration.
Ph, alk, salinity, temp and nitrates remain steady at all times using Red Sea coral pro salt, But cheers

so back to the actual question what do you feed a coral only tank. ?

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What two corals do you have in there? :)

I have a Frogspawn that had one tiny polyp left, it just receded in two days in the main tank, never worked out why, but now has 30-40 polyps growing and you can see flesh moving in the water flow, so I have hope, still a ways to go. And a Fungia that looked skeletal but still had some green, now it looks a lot healthier but has turned red, no idea why.

The other small corals are some zoas, star polyps, a candy cane, a small SPS frag I rescued that I don't have much hope for, a Ricordea and a Hydnophora. There was another Fungia which I just got but literally over 2 days its flesh disintegrated after I noticed a small hole in it, it is still in there with a tiny bit of flesh on one edge, I'll leave it there and see what happens.

oceans Nutrition replied directly saying that their Reef Pulse may cause the algae bloom as it is too high in nutritional content for that tank and has recommended to add in Brachionus rotifers or try their new Coral Pallets.

Cheers
Al

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Frogspawn that had one tiny polyp left, it just receded in two days in the main tank, never worked out why, but now has 30-40 polyps growing and you can see flesh moving in the water flow, so I have hope, still a ways to go. And a Fungia that looked skeletal but still had some green, now it looks a lot healthier but has turned red, no idea why.

The other small corals are some zoas, star polyps, a candy cane, a small SPS frag I rescued that I don't have much hope for, a Ricordea and a Hydnophora. There was another Fungia which I just got but literally over 2 days its flesh disintegrated after I noticed a small hole in it, it is still in there with a tiny bit of flesh on one edge, I'll leave it there and see what happens.

oceans Nutrition replied directly saying that their Reef Pulse may cause the algae bloom as it is too high in nutritional content for that tank and has recommended to add in Brachionus rotifers or try their new Coral Pallets.

Cheers
Al

You could also do some reef chili or poylp lab :) Don't give up on plates even when the tissue is gone. If it dies leave it in there for months and it is possible it could turn into a plate factory for you!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this yesterday forgot to respond....I have a qt, bare bottom and had the ane problem. Water changes wont remove the algae bloom itll come back in a day or two. I put a small uv sterilizer and cleared in 4 days never to return!

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this yesterday forgot to respond....I have a qt, bare bottom and had the ane problem. Water changes wont remove the algae bloom itll come back in a day or two. I put a small uv sterilizer and cleared in 4 days never to return!

Thanks, That maybe the answer, After my water change it is back to a lovely hue of green. I was trying not to throw more equipment at it but it sounds like the answer. Its just slightly complicated as it also my trochus snail breeding tank and I don't want to nuke the eggs and sperm, I'll just have to time its usage right.

Cheers
Al

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also do some reef chili or poylp lab :) Don't give up on plates even when the tissue is gone. If it dies leave it in there for months and it is possible it could turn into a plate factory for you!

Thanks Algaebarn, and if you ever start exporting to New Zealand let me know :)

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, That maybe the answer, After my water change it is back to a lovely hue of green. I was trying not to throw more equipment at it but it sounds like the answer. Its just slightly complicated as it also my trochus snail breeding tank and I don't want to nuke the eggs and sperm, I'll just have to time its usage right.

Cheers
Al
I have more elaborate Uvs in other tanks...I just tried the greenmachine cheapo on that one, worked like a charm

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I ordered the small internal UV GKM It is certainly working. The water is now just murky rather than vivid green, its had one 30% water change and another scheduled tomorrow, I think the UV will keep up with the blooms. Thanks for the advice. Cheers Al

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 93 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back