coral only tank-what to do to set it up?

aherrman1322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! We are looking into setting up a corral only tank. The tank is a Biocube 32. Has a media basket, uv sterilizer, top heater and circulation pump. We have sand and will have rock. Do we need live rock? Do we need to cycle it? Is this even a good set up for a coral only? Add anything? Thank you!!

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! We are looking into setting up a corral only tank. The tank is a Biocube 32. Has a media basket, uv sterilizer, top heater and circulation pump. We have sand and will have rock. Do we need live rock? Do we need to cycle it? Is this even a good set up for a coral only? Add anything? Thank you!!
Although it’s not considered necessary you would want live rock it makes cycling easier and gives a nice natural look. Yes you want to cycle it, coral are a lot more sensitive than fish. I would only use the UV sterilizer if you have a algae or bacteria bloom because it kills everything in the water. You wants some bacteria in your tank the uv is for if the tank turns milky white from it. What type of lighting are you using? I suggest adding a couple cheap snails to help start up the cycle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aherrman1322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it’s not considered necessary you would want live rock it makes cycling easier and gives a nice natural look. Yes you want to cycle it, coral are a lot more sensitive than fish. I would only use the UV sterilizer if you have a algae or bacteria bloom because it kills everything in the water. You wants some bacteria in your tank the uv is for if the tank turns milky white from it. What type of lighting are you using? I suggest adding a couple cheap snails to help start up the cycle.
Ok thank you! It’s a biocube 32 and has the light in the lid.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back