Coral opening its mouth wide open

sharee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, bought this coral 3 days ago. I’m really worried cause it’s been like this since yesterday, mouths are wide open. Did a lot of research but Im still not too sure why. Maybe its hungry? Dying?? (Hope not huhu) pooping? Or maybe too much water flow? I really don't know. Please help also bought this from a private seller that I saw on craigslist. He said this is an Indo neon teal hammer coral but doesn’t look like a hammer coraL to me. Looks like a frogspawn. Educate me if I'm wrong please. I’m also checking my water every day using the master test kit and everything is fine. Also let me know if it looks healthy to you. Thanks a lot!

49C1BB92-CA32-4996-9196-0F5016CC43CC.jpeg B0DB07FE-19B7-4081-A51D-5CA1B2D460C4.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    48.2 MB

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R how much flow and light is it getting, can you show us your water test results please and name the kit?
It just looks sulky to me at the moment.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a branching hammer. You can tell by the tentacles and shape of the head. Frogspawn typically have multiple round shapes extruding from the tentacle.

As for the health they look like they are still settling into your tank. I might suggest reducing your light for them and maybe lowering them into the tank for light flow. How are your other corals doing? Post your parameters it'll help with some diagnosis.

I included a picture of my hammer/frogspawn garden to give you an idea of the difference between the two euphyllia.
In the orange are hammers in the purple areas are frogspawn.

Keep us posted on your hammer progress :)

Hammers_Frogs_LI (2).jpg

OP
OP
S

sharee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R how much flow and light is it getting, can you show us your water test results please and name the kit?
It just looks sulky to me at the moment.

tested the water again just now, seems like my ammonia increased to 0.50 ppm ... Found one dead crab at the back of my tank, my niger trigger ate it i’ll do water change right now

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sharee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a branching hammer. You can tell by the tentacles and shape of the head. Frogspawn typically have multiple round shapes extruding from the tentacle.

As for the health they look like they are still settling into your tank. I might suggest reducing your light for them and maybe lowering them into the tank for light flow. How are your other corals doing? Post your parameters it'll help with some diagnosis.

I included a picture of my hammer/frogspawn garden to give you an idea of the difference between the two euphyllia.
In the orange are hammers in the purple areas are frogspawn.

Keep us posted on your hammer progress :)

Hammers_Frogs_LI (2).jpg

Thanks for educating me I really appreciate it. I only have this coral. Others are artificial. I wanted to add live corals slowly and one by one to my tank since I’m new to this. Will follow your advice thanks again.

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested the water again just now, seems like my ammonia increased to 0.50 ppm ... Found one dead crab at the back of my tank, my niger trigger ate it i’ll do water change right now
Good plan... I'd plan for a little more than 20%. I might also suggest getting some nitrifying bacteria just in case things really go sideways.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back