Coral out of water

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do some extensive cleaning on the glass internally on my tank (calcium/hard water spots).

How long can coral (I have primarily LPS) be out of water? I’d like to drain about 3/4 of the tank, leaving everything in place.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would, of course, depend on the coral. The Oculina robusta in my tank survived for five days in an unheated cardboard box with only a wet newspaper and plastic bag covering it.
Oculina.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do some extensive cleaning on the glass internally on my tank (calcium/hard water spots).

How long can coral (I have primarily LPS) be out of water? I’d like to drain about 3/4 of the tank, leaving everything in place.
When I drain water below coral, I cover corals with plastic sheeting or a split open LFS bag to keep it moist; this might help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I simply place in a bucket and return them when water is back up

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral can spend a long time out of water. I’ve had both SPS and LPS out of water for up to an hour before. Sometimes at friends homes when we frag stuff, we leave them out for extended periods of time. I used to worry but I have yet to lose one coral to that. Also, many corals live in tide pools where they get exposed to no water and a beating of the sun for hours everyday before the tide rolls back in.

Ellis Syke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't imagine it taking more than an hour or so, but I wasn't sure if I would even have that much time.

Didn't want them to be exposed for 30-60 minutes and all die...
even that amount of time is concerning unless you can periodically pour water on the corals to keep them wet

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically do this about once a month or every other month. LPS and SPS out of water for anywhere between an hour or 2. Have not had a problem yet in the 4 years I've had this tank up.

Ever seen videos of low tide where massive colonies are out of water for several hours a day?

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get this, and just do a thorough job with water in the tank?

I've tried a razor blade and I've tried vinegar in a small area that I can get to during a basic water change and neither had any affect whatsoever...

Was going to try citric acid and barkeepers friend next.

Back