Coral Pest Eater - Pink Streaked Wrasse or White Banded Possum Wrasse

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am looking for a pest-eating fish species to help keep corals from pest vulnerability. I was originally considering adding a six line wrasse to control some coral eating pests, however, after some more research, I am seeing that this fish, even if added last to the system, can become quite the bully. I am now considering some other colourful, pest-eating options to replace the six line wrasse, which are pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink-streaked wrasse) or wetmorella albofascinata (white-banded possum wrasse). I am leaning towards these two since they seem to not have an appetite for the shrimps and snails that I am hoping to add to my tank, although I am questioning their effectiveness in hunting down pests. Can anyone attest that these are effective pest eaters and are a good addition to my reef tank? Thanks so much for the help!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only experience was a pygmy possum wrasse or Tanaka possum wrasse. Very peaceful and didn't bother anything except pods. Always on the hunt around the tank for any type of pod. It also ate small bristle worms. It may have eaten my micro brittle stars too but not sure. As for pests I'm not sure, never had them with that fish.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back