coral photosynthesis stable or ever changing day to day

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep your light schedule the same always are corals photosynthesize the same every single day. Or does this change regardless of the lighting schedule are there days where they photosynthesize less or slower and if so what are some of the causes of this other than lighting. Just curious to see if this stays 100% stable with the lighting schedule and never changes. Would love to hear the community thoughts on this. Does alkalinity magnesium and calcium play a direct role in photosynthesis also what are some of the things we can do to help this process along so our corals are doing the best they can. Maximizing color growth and overall health.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An assumption on my part, and you know what that means... is that given stable environment, light, water chemistry, flow, etc, and photosynthesis should be quite stable.

I know my way around lights and photosynthesis, but I'm way less comfortable about chemistries that may have an affect.

OP
OP
Pistol Peet

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An assumption on my part, and you know what that means... is that given stable environment, light, water chemistry, flow, etc, and photosynthesis should be quite stable.

I know my way around lights and photosynthesis, but I'm way less comfortable about chemistries that may have an affect.
Correct I'm just trying to see if Coral photosynthesis remain stable in the same from day to day or if there's certain factors are things that change that so you're not getting Coral photosynthesis as it should be causing poor Coral quality in health for coloration for growth

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing scientific to add other than observation. I assume the testable parameter that is most closely linked to photosynthesis is changes in pH. In my tank the daily rise in pH is exactly the same day in and day out. You can see the rise start at the exact same time and end the same time each day. I would note that there is considerable lag from when the lights turn on to when the pH starts to rise and vice versa there is considerable lag in when pH starts to fall when lights go out.

I ran out of B-Ionic and had to buy an alternative 2 part (ATI Pro) so this morning my pH fell lower than usual because I intentionally under dosed the new additive until I got a better indication of how much I would need, but none the less you can see from the graph evidence of the regularity of photosynthesis on a daily basis.

pH.jpeg

Back