coral qt.. no need to reset clock with new pieces?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nvrmnd. found my answer in the sticky above.

Brian, just make sure whatever piece you are transferring to DT that has completed the 76 day fallow is rinsed very well with DT water so that if there are tomites or free swimmers being released in the coral QT by a more recently added piece you don't transfer them.

It is fully possible to transfer a free swimmer.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly done with the fallow period myself but am wondering if dipping (please tell me what kind) is effective also? It's been a long time to wait.

Thanks,
Meghan

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly done with the fallow period myself but am wondering if dipping (please tell me what kind) is effective also? It's been a long time to wait.

Thanks,
Meghan

I am no expert in coral. I can help with the life cycle of parasites/fallow periods and fish disease.

There is not a dip for corals that can remove parasites. However a dip in coral RX etc. May be beneficial for new corals and removing coral related pests etc.

#reefsquad any thoughts?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Meghan
I'm not sure what is being asked. What are you wondering about dipping being effective for?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the qt is fish less. There is no way to complete the life cycle so encrusted parasites on one frag cant enter the water column to encrust another one. Each frag just needs to complete 76 days.

For coral parasites the life cycle of aefw is 21 days. Need to dip each coral every 21-22 days as eggs are not effected by dips.
I dont know the life cycle of red bugs or coral eating nudies.

Sea spiders are very slow moving, besides dipping for these i would use a turkey baster, spray off the coral in a container put the frag back in the qt, dump the container water in the sink.

In general, the coral parasite can be killed with a dip, the eggs not so much. Exception to me was sea spiders and gall crabs have survived dips. But thats my experience only.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding new corals to a coral only QT does not reset the clock on corals already in the system. Each coral runs its own 76 day clock. If you add fish to the system, that's a different story.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding new corals to a coral only QT does not reset the clock on corals already in the system. Each coral runs its own 76 day clock. If you add fish to the system, that's a different story.
Why is this the case? It doesn't make sense. Are you referring to fish disease tomites or coral disease?

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is being asked. What are you wondering about dipping being effective for?
I'm wondering if dipping effective for killing ich and other fish diseases on coral?

I had not considered coral diseases

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dipping for ich is NOT effective. A dip could kill free swimmers but it will not kill off the encrusted stage of ich which could be on the bases of corals that you pick up.
I bought 5 new acan colonies, dipped, and put in my connected frag tank. 2 weeks later I had ich in my 300g DT full of tangs.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this the case? It doesn't make sense. Are you referring to fish disease tomites or coral disease?
Referring to fish parasites. Tomites are free swimmers.

There isn't anything you can do with encysted tomonts. This is why each individual frag has to have it's own 76 day fallow period. You have to let them expire on their own.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring to fish parasites. Tomites are free swimmers.

There isn't anything you can do with encysted tomonts. This is why each individual frag has to have it's own 76 day fallow period. You have to let them expire on their own.
So the hatched tomites from the tomonts cannot reencrust on anything else without a fish host first?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT process is for fish parasites. The time you are waiting is for any cysts to open and let out the free swimmers. Without a host, the swimmers die. The 76 days is for the longest (we think) cysts to open

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT process is for fish parasites. The time you are waiting is for any cysts to open and let out the free swimmers. Without a host, the swimmers die. The 76 days is for the longest (we think) cysts to open
Ok that's what I thought. I just didn't think you could do it with adding new ones, but it makes sense now that you say it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what horrible coral diseases do I need to worry about?
All sorts of nasty things can come in on coral. Different harmful nudibranches, flat worms, red worms, sea spiders, and other pests. On top of those you have nuisance stuff that can come in like Bryopsis (algae), aiptasia, majano's, and vermitid snails.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the hatched tomites from the tomonts cannot reencrust on anything else without a fish host first?

Correct. The free swimming tomite stage has to have a fish to attach itself upon in order to start the reproduction process.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what horrible coral diseases do I need to worry about?

OMG.. There are some seriously nasty things that come on on corals and they can cause a LOT of heartache and a LOT of financial loss. Unless you know the person you are getting frags from and know his system completely then assume that there is something on there. Cultured corals from say jason fox etc should be safe but if you are buying coral from LA or someplace like that... watch the amount of things that come flying off when you dip it. It is shocking.

Acro Eating flat worms (AEFW) are no bueno and acro eating spiders are the stuff of nightmares. Take all of this with a grain of salt, some of us have big systems with stupid amounts of time and money invested in them and we take every precaution necessary. If I had a 40 gallon cube I would look at the coral with a magnifying glass, cut it off the base, dip it, and glue it in the DT.

That is about the absolute minimum you should be doing and will reduce your risk by a good percentage. Don't put plugs or bases in your tank.. that is where the boogey man lives, in the little cracks.

Thanks to everyone on the clarification. I was thinking if I have to start the clock over every time I put a new frag in QT I would NEVER get them into the DT!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back