Coral QT Tank - Nitrates Wont Rise

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I apologize if this is a repeat post, however I have not seen my exact issue.

I am fighting a dino issue in my coral QT tank, as there is low phosphate and low nitrate. I purchased Brightwell neonitro in hopes of raising the nitrate. Since dosing the nitrates have slightly dropped. I am using a hanna nitrate checker to confirm. My nitrates started at 0.19ppm. I added the equivalent of a .5ppm rise for 2 consecutive days and noticed the nitrates, fell to 0.03. I then doubled that dose and noticed nitrates were only at 0.09ppm 24hrs later, according to the directions, this should have been over a 1ppm increase.

The directions mention the possiblity of being carbon neutral, is this possible? Though I do not full understand this, I have 6 marinepure bio balls from my DT and a few lbs of LR, while the tank is only 20g. I am not skimming or doing water changes right now. I am feeding the corals 2-3x weekly.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have!

Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more seems appropriate (or switching to a product of known potency, such as food grade sodium nitrate). There's no reason to not dose a few ppm per day and see what happens.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more seems appropriate (or switching to a product of known potency, such as food grade sodium nitrate). There's no reason to not dose a few ppm per day and see what happens.
Thanks Randy, I have noticed you recommend the food grade as a better alternative. I will make the switch! As for the carbon neutral comment, would this cause my nitrates to not rise? Do you have an easy explanation for this? Or have any recommended reading?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell talks about carbon limited when nitrate is not being used. That is the normal situation in a reef tank and does not cause low levels. I don't think it applies to you in a scenario where you cannot get nitrate to rise.

Are you seeing something else?

Note: If at any time, dosing with NEONITRO results in a prolonged increase of nitrate concentration without gradual decrease as phosphate is taken up, system is likely carbon-limited

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell talks about carbon limited when nitrate is not being used. That is the normal situation in a reef tank and does not cause low levels. I don't think it applies to you in a scenario where you cannot get nitrate to rise.

Are you seeing something else?

Note: If at any time, dosing with NEONITRO results in a prolonged increase of nitrate concentration without gradual decrease as phosphate is taken up, system is likely carbon-limited
The directions state step 1&2: testing and dosing instructions.

3. All 24-hours to elapse, retest nitrate and phosphate concentrations. If concentrations remain unchanged, then the system is likely carbon-limited.

^I am reading that as suggesting my tank may be carbon limited.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions state step 1&2: testing and dosing instructions.

3. All 24-hours to elapse, retest nitrate and phosphate concentrations. If concentrations remain unchanged, then the system is likely carbon-limited.

^I am reading that as suggesting my tank may be carbon limited.

Nope. Carbon limited (lack of sufficient organic carbon) means the level is not falling, not that it isn't rising. If bacteria have organics and N and P (and some other stuff), nutrients will be consumed.

Yours likely is carbon limited, as are most reef tanks, which is why people dose organic carbon to lower nutrients.

But it cannot explain a lack of rise.

Ignore their comment. :)

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Carbon limited (lack of sufficient organic carbon) means the level is not falling, not that it isn't rising. If bacteria have organics and N and P (and some other stuff), nutrients will be consumed.

Yours likely is carbon limited, as are most reef tanks, which is why people dose organic carbon to lower nutrients.

But it cannot explain a lack of rise.

Ignore their comment. :)
thanks for the info. I will try this a few more days, while I wait for the food grade sodium nitrate. Thank you for the help!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. I will try this a few more days, while I wait for the food grade sodium nitrate. Thank you for the help!!

There's no reason to not dose a lot more. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an updated. I got my nitrates to 0.29ppm after dosing what should have been 5ppm of nitrates. This stuff is junk!

How soon after dosing did you measure? Maybe it got consumed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24hrs. The tank is a QT tank and has about 6 small frags. Do you think consumption would be that quick? Phosphates have stayed fairly stable at 0.03ppm

I am not sure what is in the Brightwell product as it does not even specify it is nitrate (Seachem, for example uses some other things), so it may be a detectability issue, high consumption, faulty kit, or something else.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what is in the Brightwell product as it does not even specify it is nitrate (Seachem, for example uses some other things), so it may be a detectability issue, high consumption, faulty kit, or something else.
I understand. My dino issue is not getting any better, if that is an indicator?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back