Coral quarantine, advice you already know

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're saying regarding inverts who eat bryopsis is not proven just as much those who say emeralds eat their coral. So who am I to trust? I've never seen a proven invert that will reliably eat bryopsis. Given how fast it spreads, I'm not willing to take the risk. Getting rid of bryopsis is not a cake walk, same goes for bubble algae.

I've been following @NCreefguy thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

Fluconazole only eliminates things with a plant cell wall containing ergosterol, so ONLY algae is affected. It's impossible for it to have an impact on bacteria, fish, or coral.

I think I'm going to go with the 95% of professional aquariums on this one and continue to quarantine. If something is not present in your tank, it can't affect anything.
Everyone in the hobby has seen the bryopsis threads and yes fluconazole does clear it up, but as I’ve said i choose not to take chemical shortcuts where we don’t truly know the effects on the total system, and when there are reliable alternatives however you choose to and that’s fine.. I think you are very wrong about CUC eating corals and something no one is interested in proving but yet again it’s something only sporadically reported by US reefers and the rest of the world doesn’t report the same issues, so why would we need to challenge something we know works, and we don’t suffer anything like you do, but then we don’t have the same levels of pests that you have in the states... do you ever question why? same oceans, same species, same collectors, certainly makes me wonder why.. and something we have all discussed on several threads over the years... even red bugs, black bugs, MENS and AEFW are more common in the US... yet so few of you ask why? Is it a wholesaler issue or husbandry techniques? which may surprise you are very different in the main...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One important thing with using CUC to combat pests and nuisance algae is that they need to go into the tank during cycling and be continually added in sufficient numbers so that they can cope with emerging algae growth and pest outbreaks so that things are balanced... and tiny algae growth is eaten as they emerge... you don’t wait until you have a algae growth explosion, it’s too late then, unless you throw hundreds at it...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back