Coral quarantine question

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting started in this hobby and have a question about setting up a coral quarantine tank. Let me start by saying I am quarantining everything! Fish, coral, and inverts. My question is once I get this qt up and running I need to put a fish in it to keep the cycle going. The tank is only 10 gallons so I realize my options are limited. I would love to put something in there that would help take care of pests such as a 6 line wrasse. But I also think this tank is way too small for that. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am also considering adding a peppermint shrimp.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a chromis eat any kind of possible pest?
No. And you don't need fish to maintain the nitrifying cycle; you can certainly feed many types of coral, such as LPS and soft corals, and that's where you should put your focus at this stage, in any case.

Don't discount inverts to add life and interest to your build. Fish are great, but most of my most interesting inhabitants are urchins, snails, and crabs. Most of them aren't typically cryptic, either, so many of them are always on display.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back