Coral quarantine tank

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys good evening. I’m about to start up my 50 gallon first reef tank and I wanted to quarantine my fish and corals. I brought two separate aquariums one for the fish a 29 gallon and one for my coral frags which will be a 10 gallon. I know the fish quarantine tools needed but the coral quarantine I’m having a hard time to get together. I was wondering what gear would be good to use with it? What kind of filtration, power head? I was also going to get two separate probes and use my apex to also control my 10 gallon reef along with my 50 gallon and keep them side by side. Also would a kessil a360x tuna blue would be good to use for the coral quarantine and use the apex to control the ph, temperature and also the kessil light through iota. You’re help would be greatly appreciated

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one up a while back and used a 10 gallon AIO with everything controlled by an apex. The A360 is more than enough light for the 10 gallon. Unless you have an extra I would save some $ and go w/ the AI Prime HD (about 1/3 the cost). I used the Kessil A80 in mine and it wasn't nearly bright enough. I was able to keep things alive with it, but had to move all SPS to the very top of the QT tank. At some point you are likely to get some algae in the tank so be ready to put a small CUC in the tank. Might want to do that at the same time so they are QTd at the same time. For flow I used a couple of the tunze 6020 (less than $50 each) and have been happy with them. ATO I used the Reef Breeders prism system and a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I think I got about a month out of the pocket before having to refill. I used a small (25 watt I think) Jaeger heater controlled by the apex. I started mine with water from my DT which had been fully cycled plus I added some bottled bacteria. I kept it bare bottom. I didn't do anything to control PH in the QT and didn't monitor it. I did have to dose Alk after a while and once fully cycled I did about 50% water change each week to 10 days which helped keep the elements in line. I think I had 10 or 12 sps frags in it.

One thing to keep in mind is don't put fish in the coral QT tank, if there is anything on the coral that can be hosted by the fish a good part the QT benefit is gone. I QTd my corals for 70 days which seemed to be conservative based on what I read on it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back