coral qurantine question

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a small aqueon 10 gallon quarantine tank for corals to watch out for pest and diseases. my main DT is tied to an apex. should i hook the apex up with this tank?
also this is the gear i have for this tank, is there anything missing?
ai prime 16hd (this is next to purchase)
eheim jager heater and should i use an inkbird to control it?
tidal 35 hob filter
possible get a piece of live rock from my display tank
i wanted to know how many powerheads should i get and recommendations
and should i hook it up to the apex and monitor its ph and temperature?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater yes
Filter yes
Live rock ?
I small powerhead in a 10g should be enough

SusQ_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could hook it to the Apex but it's not needed. Better to keep it simple. I use a simple power filter on my with some bio bricks instead of live rock. A heater, a decent light and a small powerhead should suffice. It's only temporary for the coral.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup sounds good and similar to our 20g coral/invert QT. I think how far you go with it depends on your goals. Are you QTing for ich cysts as well (I.e. 76 days or 6 weeks >80.6F)? Or is it just a coral pest obs tank for just a few weeks? If you’re doing the former just realize that this is essentially going to be a permanent tank and it’s reasonable to consider things like Apex but not necessary up front.

Before I tell you my setup, a story. We bought a bunch of corals with the plan to setup a big tank to replace our 40G. However we had to have flooring and electrical work done so things ended up sitting in there for like 8 months with zero new additions. No coral pests, and our monti collection was growing and thriving. Well a few weeks back we bought some crabs and snails and added them in. Within 2 weeks I had Montipora eating nudibranchs destroy one and take huge sections out of others in very little time. No doubt in my mind these coral pests came with the snails. Just food for thought on whether to QT everything or not.

So our setup is very similar except we treat it as a full fledged reef tank without fish. Aquascaping, sand, some hearty planted corals, and all the cool inverts we can enjoy that would get lost in a huge tank like pom pom crabs. All corals and inverts go through there for QT for 76 days (but we might switch to 6 weeks at the higher temp). Given the length of time each thing has to QT it’s a second permanent tank and as such I did add a Trident because I need to keep reef conditions 24/7 365 and I know given my lifestyle I’m not going to test as religiously as I should. Also got a cheap doser for 2 part as well.

Just food for thought. Yes to the inkbird for sure (the apex is not a substitute, just an extra layer). As for pH it sounds like you’re not going to have a lot going on in that tank so Apex is probably overkill; can easily monitor that manually as needed. So for those things Apex is overkill, for me it’s about the Trident. I would probably start with 1 powerhead and go from there in a 10 gallon with the HOB also providing flow.

Back