Coral recommendations with similar care to duncans

ahouseofscales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 20 gallon running with live rock, aragonite sand, an AI Prime, and Reefflowers Coral Salt Mix. Right now I have lots of zoas and GSP that are doing great. The only stony coral I have that has consistently done well in my tank is the duncan colony. It is growing super well and I am in love with it's color and movement. I would love to get more but I already have a lot of green in my tank and duncans don't have many options for colors. Are there any corals that are similar care wise that anyone can recommend? Preferably that come in colors other than green and aren't outrageously expensive. Thanks!

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would say care wise you can definitely do a couple more lps in that set up. You could give acans, candy canes, or favia a try, the only thing different with them is they dont have the movement like the duncans. The acans can have some movement if placed well and when they puff up you can to see them sway in the water.

The most similar coral in care that can give you movement that is an lps is some euphilliya like a hammer or frogspawn. For me they add more movement than duncans and can definitely be a nice piece. The only con is the cheaper ones around $30-$45 a head are usually green or green and purple tips. You would have to spend a little more per head to get some of the pinks, purples, oranges, yellows, and golds to add different colors

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend frogspawn or hammers. I have a hammer and frogspawn from when I first started reefing that I almost killed but they are doing good now. They seem to be able to tolerate a good amount of stress. If you have Duncans that seem happy, they should be happy as well. I would just focus on getting them the right amount of flow. I like to have just enough so that the tentacles have some movement to them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back