Coral skeletons… Do you collect them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s sad when a coral dies however these are often used as ornaments, I recently found my collection again and wondered how many others collect their skeletons of corals?
So let’s see your favourites and your collection!

Here’s mine, it’s a mix of corals and shells (All of them were owned by me for some time and died for different reasons).
image.jpg

My favourite piece was my Green Slimer (Acropora yongei). This guy is about 11cm which is equal to 4.3 inches. I believe he grew 2 inch in the time I had him which was unfortunately only 2-3 weeks as I killed him with melafix unintentionally.
8A850254-EB7D-4B7D-A6BD-6AD04AD9D12E.jpeg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large Pocillopora skeleton that's currently acting as the framework for a tiny amount of montipora spongodes I found in my nem tank. Pictures coming a year from now.

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I do have a few. I also have some great pieces of rock ive been holding onto. I have this gaint piece of sometype of table top coral/rock brs sold me like 12 years ago, just aweomse, like 30" wide. It was way too big to fit into my tank and I just did have the heart to break it up.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a few. I also have some great pieces of rock ive been holding onto. I have this gaint piece of sometype of table top coral/rock brs sold me like 12 years ago, just aweomse, like 30" wide. It was way too big to fit into my tank and I just did have the heart to break it up.
We need a photo of that!
It sounds beautiful, I would love a 30” coral colony in my collection of skeletons (At the same time I don’t but you know what I mean).
I have a large Pocillopora skeleton that's currently acting as the framework for a tiny amount of montipora spongodes I found in my nem tank. Pictures coming a year from now.
Definitely hope that comes out nice, I’m hoping I can get some nice encrusted shapes out of some of my skeletons eventually.

Crispy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch from my previous life in SW- and ma few are used in my DT- a couple large pieces of Blue Ridge along some others- the others from that life are now on a shelf- a large shelf coral- pink, purple and blue corals- would just get encrusted now-

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I find on beach walks that is very porous and light, I will stick in my sump to add surface for bacteria/filtering. I have piles of skeleton and rock in the filter sock chamber.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week was the 2 year anniversary of Texas Arctic Blast, with freezing temperatures and power outages. Our household was extremely fortunate being tied on power grid with two hospitals, but even many TX hospitals were without power during freezing temps.

I bury mine in the back yard

If I had been impacted, then likely I would have buried mine in backyard, too. I do that with my fish that mean a lot to me.

Devastation from that Feb 2021 week was horrible. I've seen countless fist sized to basketball sized colonies that people had nurtured from frags. We learned not much beyond cabbage leathers can survive a week of 40 degree water (but they are UGLY...) Some tanks had actual ice formations (more on freshwater side than saltwater tanks). A lot of people left the hobby, but hobby club Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society spent last year emphasizing Bounce Back Year. A lot of people have BBA - Bounce Back Ability! New people have come into the hobby.

Dead FL corals from old VA tanks.JPG

Unrelated to that week 2 years ago, on their honeymoon my parents started collecting decorative corals from Florida gift shops. This was before people thought about impacts taking those corals from reefs. When I got into the hobby, I talked my mom into giving me her bay window decorations. I've used them in tanks, and that one in the back right to the left of the wall outlet was stunning centerpiece in my 55 gallon back in the 80s... though it is a nitrate factory with all those deep nooks and crannies.

I've stored my parents Florida corals boxed and lately have them displayed (more or less). Above photo is when I first got them unboxed, before any tank setup in our newly remodeled room. Now they are on my bookshelves, though before I used them in tanks they were prettier white on my parent's bay window ledge.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back