Coral Spotlight | Homophyllia Bowerbanki

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names: Bowerbanki, acan

Difficulty Level: Most Bowers are fairly easy to keep as long as alkalinity levels are kept stable.

Feeding: Bowerbanki are extremely aggressive eaters with very capable tentacles. They will easily catch and consume most food types including frozen, liquid and even pellets. Take care as their feeding aggression can sometimes be taken out on neighboring corals.

Lighting: Bowers usually do best is medium to lower lighting levels. As with most hard corals, bleaching is a concern, so always acclimate by starting them lower in the tank and slowly move them up to your desired location.

Waterflow: Bowerbankis can adapt to most flow conditions, but will extend their flesh more under medium to lower flow.

Placement: Bowers are very aggressive, so be careful to give them plenty of space.

General: Bowerbanki can take a long period to settle in and fully inflate. Be patient and give them time before moving them to a new placement.

9cc3b98492056e91d7ca34f9a4a56e4f.jpg
e9e91c7a3e248144369260ac8c525de0.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bowers and similar blastos are in many colors and attractive in nature

Typical_Tim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the growth rate for bowerbankis? I have this tiny frag I got at CA RAP. (Need to get rid of that aiptaisia)
IMG_20181113_214216.jpg

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the growth rate for bowerbankis? I have this tiny frag I got at CA RAP. (Need to get rid of that aiptaisia)
IMG_20181113_214216.jpg
In my experience very slow. Double in size maybe in a year or two.

I'm curious what kind of growth rates others have seen, so anyone else feel free to chime in.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience very slow. Double in size maybe in a year or two.

I'm curious what kind of growth rates others have seen, so anyone else feel free to chime in.
They will sneak up on you. I've had several that didn't seem to be doing anything (babies hanging out, but staying small) then suddenly they explode and match the mom. Then it takes a while for another crop of babies to put out. I'd agree with doubling in a year (which when it doubles again the next year really gets exciting). Sharing a few pics of some of mine.

Banki-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

banki-5 by Peter Young, on Flickr

WWC Bower by Peter Young, on Flickr

bowerbanki-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

BSABower top by Peter Young, on Flickr

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a growing collection of bowerbanki frags and was wondering if they should be placed on a rock or is the sandbed fine? The frags I have all same to be on thick rock. Do they form their own skeleton?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sandbed is although particles of sand could land on it and irritate it

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hopeful that this response revives the thread and gets the attention of experienced keepers. I seriously love the look of micromussas, blastos, mushrooms, and of course these bowerbanki. I've got my eyes on one in an auction. I still have a couple days, so hopefully I can get some insight here before it ends.

Before I start filling my DT with crazy aggressive corals, I'd like some more insight. I am trying to be selective with corals as it's only a 50gal tank.

Realistically, what other corals can be placed near it? I understand they are considered aggressive. Does that mean that no other corals can be near it? Not even another bowerbanki? If nothing else can be near it, how close/far should they be from each other? TIA

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hopeful that this response revives the thread and gets the attention of experienced keepers. I seriously love the look of micromussas, blastos, mushrooms, and of course these bowerbanki. I've got my eyes on one in an auction. I still have a couple days, so hopefully I can get some insight here before it ends.

Before I start filling my DT with crazy aggressive corals, I'd like some more insight. I am trying to be selective with corals as it's only a 50gal tank.

Realistically, what other corals can be placed near it? I understand they are considered aggressive. Does that mean that no other corals can be near it? Not even another bowerbanki? If nothing else can be near it, how close/far should they be from each other? TIA
I have never seen mine act aggressive towards neighbors, but I’m not saying that it can’t or won’t kill them someday. Mine is right up next to an alveopora that they sometimes touch, an orange plate coral is close by and also has never been affected. I’ve also had micromussa lords close by with no damage. I’ve had a chunk of montipora fall on it and get killed. You can see mine- the red and purplish coral on the lower right corner next to the orange plate
IMG_2374.jpeg

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen mine act aggressive towards neighbors, but I’m not saying that it can’t or won’t kill them someday. Mine is right up next to an alveopora that they sometimes touch, an orange plate coral is close by and also has never been affected. I’ve also had micromussa lords close by with no damage. I’ve had a chunk of montipora fall on it and get killed. You can see mine- the red and purplish coral on the lower right corner next to the orange plate
What a beautiful collection you have! I appreciate your insight. Thank you.
To confirm, this one correct?
1000005175.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beautiful collection you have! I appreciate your insight. Thank you.
To confirm, this one correct?
1000005175.jpg
Yes, that’s a Bower.
Can you please post a link to the auction so I can out bid you?
Merry Christmas- hope you win it. My tank is not taking any more customers since Mary & Joseph just moved in.

Last edited:

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a link to the auction so I can out bid you?
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

I have been watching a few micromussa and some Bowerbanki, I was hoping to sneak past some of the more popular stuff and people would ignore my low bids. It seems there is at least 1, maybe 2 more people in this world that like them too! Haaa haaa.
Merry Christmas- hope you win it.
I appreciate it! Me too. I am in CA and so is the vendor, which makes the shipping reasonable enough to try and go for it.
My tank is not taking any more customers since Many & Joseph just moved in.
AND they bring with them a flock of followers!

Sneak a little itty bitty guy under a rock somewhere! Haa haa

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back