Coral Spotlight | Turbinaria

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names: pagoda cup coral, turban coral, vase coral

Difficulty Level: Turbinaria are generally very tolerant to most conditions.

Feeding: These corals have very good prey capture ability with their medium sized, quick moving polyps. Meaty foods of most sizes are acceptable food for them.

Lighting (Level 4 to 8): Turbinaria will thrive in a wide range of lighting. As with most hard corals, bleaching is a concern, so always acclimate by starting them lower in the tank and slowly move them up to your desired location.

Water flow: Higher flow should be provided to keep the horizontal flat surfaces of these corals clean.

Placement: Turbinaria are not overly aggressive corals. They may be placed on their side in some cases to keep debris from being caught in the cup. Lower light will yield a flatter cup; higher light will yield a more closed cup.

General: These corals feed during the day

Last edited:

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does a lighting level of 4-8 correspond to in regard to PAR?
The guy at the reef shop I stopped in at told me they can go in high light and high flow.

I made a rookie mistake and went a little tall with my rock work so was looking for some corals for the upper part of my tank. I'm running medium light and have it very high in the tank in some very strong flow and the polyps are fully extended. They seem to like the strong turbulent flow

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the reef shop I stopped in at told me they can go in high light and high flow.

I made a rookie mistake and went a little tall with my rock work so was looking for some corals for the upper part of my tank. I'm running medium light and have it very high in the tank in some very strong flow and the polyps are fully extended. They seem to like the strong turbulent flow

If it isn't too late, I'd suggest moving it to the outside of your rock structure and down low so it doesnt mask light from the rest of your corals as it grows out.

Was about 1.5" wide and 2.5" long May of '17. 105 PAR.
33738126034_1bb52d44e2_b.jpg

Almost 5" in diameter now. 210 PAR.
44275878150_c079cf0728_b.jpg

Last edited:

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't too late, I'd suggest moving it to the outside of your rock structure and down low so it doesnt mask light from the rest of your corals as it grows out.

Was about 1.5" wide and 2.5" long May of '17. 105 PAR.
33738126034_1bb52d44e2_b.jpg

Almost 5" in diameter now. 210 PAR.
44275878150_c079cf0728_b.jpg
Wow that's nice. It sitting on a large "table" so its got lots of room to grow

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of these that are purple with green polyps! very pretty and cheap. I wasnt going to buy the other but couldnt resist at 7.50 on ebay auction. The pic they showed was not what i recieved because I expected it to look different, like the round ones I see. They are both squares. I am assuming as the grow they round out? How do you get them to form the swirling plates I have seen or is that a different type?

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting I hadn't heard about that taxonomy change yet. Thank you for letting me know :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back