Coral swap meets on same day as Reef club meeting

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coming reef club meeting there is another coral swap elsewhere. Can you guys in charge get together and coordinate this stuff on separate days please?

On a side note the reef club meeting dates have been posted for a very long time.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coming reef club meeting there is another coral swap elsewhere. Can you guys in charge get together and coordinate this stuff on separate days please?

On a side note the reef club meeting dates have been posted for a very long time.
Our dates are set and posted before the next year even starts. I don't really know what to say beyond that.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people that are partaking in organizing the frag swaps are not on R2R and are not Frag members. They just select a day they like and do it.

Adrian,

You have your finger on the facebook pulse, when's next months coral swap?
It wouldn't be Nov 16th, would it?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To think that 2 months in a row, swaps have been scheduled on the same day.... hmmm seems suspicious.
Perhaps some of you might care to express your displeasure with those stores/people scheduling these "swap" events?

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this on Facebook. Also had to dumb it down for the average Facebook person to get.
Hello everyone. So today I’m posting as a mediator of sorts. For those of you that do not know Arizona F.R.A.G. (Fish Reef and Aquarium Group) is Phoenix’s/Arizona’s MASNA recognized chapter/club. For those of you who don’t know what MASNA they’re the ones responsible for MACNA and work hand in hand with helping companies develop products that meet marine sea life needs amongst other things. The club has a monthly meet where we talk about current world events on fish, have lectures on fragging, diseases and have noted guest speakers come in from time to time. These meetings are scheduled and posted at the beginning of the year for the whole calendar year. At the end of the meeting is a coral auction where we bid on corals from local growers. Recently there has been some toe stepping when it’s come to scheduling and we , the club, has noticed that a lot of these frag swaps are being scheduled the same day as meetings. We all believe it’s an honest mistake as most of you probably didn’t even know the group existed. So we invite you to join us on Reef 2 Reef and also head to http://www.arizonafrag.com/event/ so you can see when our next events are scheduled so so you can come learn some cool stuff and try and schedule the frag swaps on other days so we all can enjoy both. It’s an opportunity for people to get more frags if they’re on different days and vendors can make more money as well instead of having to chose to attend one or the other. We aren’t expecting the upcoming swaps to be changed as they have already been schedule however we hope that this could help with scheduling in the future.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adrian,

You have your finger on the facebook pulse, when's next months coral swap?
It wouldn't be Nov 16th, would it?
Here’s the next two swaps. One is being run by Discount Aquarium and the other is down in Tucson for Shark Reefs grand reopening
A0376F89-69A9-48AA-8C1F-E056E0629690.png

C2B3AFEC-5E51-4D1B-8998-78858D85F0E3.png

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Pretty much everyone was under the same consensus that they didn’t know about the website to check the meeting dates and would instead check the Facebook page that wouldn’t have anything listed until the month of the meeting and by then it was too late to change. They asked if who ever runs the page could put it on the upcoming events ahead of time and that they’d check to try and organize around the the meetings so people don’t have to choose between them. As far as the ones that are set up by individual stores those are on that individual store and getting a hold of them when we notice a conflict to see if they’ll change their day. Tracey from reefers anonymous and Memory from Arizona reef guys and gals were on board.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Pretty much everyone was under the same consensus that they didn’t know about the website to check the meeting dates and would instead check the Facebook page that wouldn’t have anything listed until the month of the meeting and by then it was too late to change. They asked if who ever runs the page could put it on the upcoming events ahead of time and that they’d check to try and organize around the the meetings so people don’t have to choose between them. As far as the ones that are set up by individual stores those are on that individual store and getting a hold of them when we notice a conflict to see if they’ll change their day. Tracey from reefers anonymous and Memory from Arizona reef guys and gals were on board.
Thanks a bunch!
Problem with creating FB events too far in advance is that we often don't have the topic/location cemented more than a month or two out, but point taken.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the flip side I don't look at Facebook or any of the other social media sites for event and up coming stuff. I have chosen to not use Social media unless I have to.. Most of it isn't very social.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty much the one who's always been behind the scenes adamantly against FRAG having a FB group (we did have one for a short while in the beginning of our regime). It's just not a good medium to replace a message board. The FB non-profit page we have is simply to have a prescene as compromise.

reefer999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably go to both, they overlap a little bit, but the swap doesn't end until 8pm so there's plenty of time after our meeting. What LFS will be doing the fragging demo this year?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably go to both, they overlap a little bit, but the swap doesn't end until 8pm so there's plenty of time after our meeting. What LFS will be doing the fragging demo this year?
Paul Whitby is doing it again this year (not a store).

Dream54ing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think the next two swaps are ran by the same people/lfs. I have not been too these swaps, but i do believe dates are randomly picked for their own convenience. I'm pretty certain its unintentional that it lands on the same date as FRAG/PROP.

I've posted many times in the past to keep other hobbyist inform/aware of FRAG/PROP on R2R and RC, but it seem like the FB platform is majority's preference since they already have the app and use it on a daily basis.

Hunter,
As you know, I seldom go to meetings (conflict in schedule), but if you guys need corals to frag/give away. hit me up, I have a large colony of stunner chalice and some neon nephthea. possibly some other stuff. Someone might need to come by to pick them up though (fatherhood has kicked in full force and my schedule is full)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it seem like the FB platform is majority's preference since they already have the app and use it on a daily basis.
In the short time we tried it in the beginning, it was simply too much constant need for moderation. I already try to do too much with the time I have.
Hunter,
As you know, I seldom go to meetings (conflict in schedule), but if you guys need corals to frag/give away. hit me up, I have a large colony of stunner chalice and some neon nephthea. possibly some other stuff. Someone might need to come by to pick them up though (fatherhood has kicked in full force and my schedule is full)
Thanks! The club has already paid for a box of goodies for this year, but I will definitely keep this in mind in the future!

Dream54ing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the short time we tried it in the beginning, it was simply too much constant need for moderation. I already try to do too much with the time I have.

Absolutely agree, it does require much time to moderate. Definitely not pushing for FRAG/PROP to have FB group, but was just pointing out the obvious :) I've grew up with message boards like R2R/RC and find it more informative and educational than FB. FB groups are exactly what its intended for, social networking.

To OP, I did reach out to ones organizing the swaps and ask them to take in consideration/respect dates set by FRAG/PROP when planning their swaps. We will see if that will actually happen.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back