Coral - Too much light?

RedRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! First post for my first tank. I have a 5gal reef tank that I pieced together from some freshwater stuff I had.
I have this light : KINGBO 6-Band Full Spectrum 18W LED Aquarium Light
I just got this coral that seemed like it was pretty used to high light where it was in the display but I think it might be "bleaching"? I'm new to this but the top looks white where the peach flesh is on the undersides. There are green polyps growing towards the light... I just need an experienced eye I think.
Thanks ahead of time.

20210123_095616.jpg 20210127_183654.jpg 20210128_144747.jpg

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks too close to me.
Consider lowering that birdsnest somewhere around the mid level. If it grows well it will hit the surface where you have it. This will, among other issues, block light.
What are your tank parameters? Alk, Ca, Mag, NO3 and PO4
What were the previous tank params?

OP
OP
RedRain

RedRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks too close to me.
Consider lowering that birdsnest somewhere around the mid level. If it grows well it will hit the surface where you have it. This will, among other issues, block light.
What are your tank parameters? Alk, Ca, Mag, NO3 and PO4
What were the previous tank params?
I don't test for those things yet because of the low number of coral in the tank and doing 50% water change every week with pre mixed Red Sea Coral Pro from LFS. Least that is what I was told was needed.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should still be testing NO3 and PO4. Not knowing where they are at is not helpful when you have issues, whether it be with corals or the tank itself.
Also, knowing what your Big 3 are at, and the tank they are coming from, will help minimize transplant issues, and guide you through acclimation.
Lastly, keeping your params stable is key to successful SPS health. Knowing what your tank is at and the new water you add is at are a part of stability and success.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know anything about your light but i have a similar amazon special like that the abi tuna blue bulb and it is currently about 12inches from the water line and i have a lid (pico tank about 2 gallons). I also taped of some of the white leds it was just too much par slamming into my tank. Just FYI...

OP
OP
RedRain

RedRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I think ill save up for some test kits and move the light higher

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back