Coral Turning White?

brianaM10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a few frags from a pet store a few weeks ago, did a little research about where to place them. This one is turning white from the bottom up, and starting on the tips. Is this normal? Should I move it? Is it dying?
20200127_212026.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank looks young. Those are sps and need stability. They like pretty decent lights too. Don't write them off permanently. My son had a tiny piece that was rubble in another reefers tank. Grew right through the rock a year later.

OP
OP
brianaM10

brianaM10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started our tank last spring so it's not very old. I just don't want the little thing to die too quickly if I can at least try to do something about it. How do these tolerate flow? Should he be somewhere where there is less flow?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of lighting do y'all have?

luke fortunato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like STN- slow tissue necrosis or RTN- rapid tissue necrosis. You can try to cut the dead area off if you want but not a guarantee it will live. If its happened overnight RTN, over a few days or week, STN
+1
I had the same thing happen to my leptoseris, cut off the dead and it has been growing fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
RTN and is tissue loss likely due to a combo of water flow, low alk, inadequate lighting and lack of required nutrients . Increasing flow at this time will simply strip the remaining tissue right off the coral.
I would focus on softies than acros at this time allowing tank to mature and prior to trying acro, I would upgrade lighting, assure there is adequate water flow (no need to blast them) and invest in test kits for at least Calcium, Magnesium and alkalinity.
Take if you can a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test the listed parameters for you which based on results will give you a clue as to cause and future needs for dosing whether manual or automatic.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ +1

Don't kick yourself. 6 mo's is about when you'll see recommendations to attempt easier sps in a newish tank.
If your water is right and your light is even ok, birdsnest is pretty hardy. Gonna have to more or less cut it in half.
Prepare yourself for the stink. A half dead coral smells like anything else that is half dead once you have it out of the water.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it up in the rock work and get some flow on it. I would also cut off the dead a super glue it onto the plug. Then glue the plug onto the rock work. These things love good flow and strong light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back