Coral with the BEST color and what's your favorite coral color?

What is your favorite color when it comes to coral in your reef tank?

• RED

Votes: 77 15.3%
  • GREEN

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • PURPLE

Votes: 56 11.1%
  • GOLD

Votes: 34 6.7%
  • ORANGE

Votes: 110 21.8%
  • YELLOW

Votes: 64 12.7%
  • PINK

Votes: 63 12.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 39 7.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many reasons to love coral! Reasons like...they are living animals, they grow in your house, they vary is size, shape growth pattern etc. But one of the things we love most about coral is the COLOR aspect! A few of you don't care that much about color but I would imagine that an overwhelming majority care an awful lot about the color of the coral they add to their reef tank! So let's chit chat about it today!

1. What coral do you think has the BEST overall color or color combo in the reef aquarium hobby? (use common names)

2. What is your favorite color when it comes to coral in your reef tank?

Purple Monster Mushroom image uploaded via @Sea_Monkey and photographed by Micheal Vargas!
IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went other because the more natural the coral’s colour then the more natural the tank!
Here’s my 100% white photos, now it’s at 70% white and 40% blues so photos can be blued out a bit but white still shines and shows their natural colours!!
4888A888-55B5-426D-ABD9-71FBDEE1E12B.jpeg
63E9F3D1-ECEE-47F3-BD27-4345BABBA2C8.jpeg
E6F5500A-BB05-44BF-B321-1DF11679CAC2.jpeg

The tans and browns to me are natural colours, some greens (If they aren’t TOO neon) can be natural too, as seen in my caulerpa macro. Here’s a top down of the R. Yuma in the 40% blues to 70% whites:
image.jpg

The Yuma is about 4” across, maybe 4.5”, for sure the biggest coral I’ve kept from a 0.5” frag (2.5 years ago), the other half to the colony is in the 4’ tank.
Trying to find the BEST coral for colours is hard, here’s my blue mushroom (I want some duller acros that are cheapish and stick to a nice tan or very pale yellow (Like the pavona’s you see).
image.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, it sure isn’t green LOL

I LIKE Pinks and reds
Daughter likes gold . Her favorite gold:

E7846F46-E93B-47FB-8D14-9E4F4F128F89.jpeg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a hard time choosing but I went with orange. This might be the hardest poll EVER!!! :p

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went other because the more natural the coral’s colour then the more natural the tank!
Here’s my 100% white photos, now it’s at 70% white and 40% blues so photos can be blued out a bit but white still shines and shows their natural colours!!
4888A888-55B5-426D-ABD9-71FBDEE1E12B.jpeg
63E9F3D1-ECEE-47F3-BD27-4345BABBA2C8.jpeg
E6F5500A-BB05-44BF-B321-1DF11679CAC2.jpeg

The tans and browns to me are natural colours, some greens (If they aren’t TOO neon) can be natural too, as seen in my caulerpa macro. Here’s a top down of the R. Yuma in the 40% blues to 70% whites:
image.jpg

The Yuma is about 4” across, maybe 4.5”, for sure the biggest coral I’ve kept from a 0.5” frag (2.5 years ago), the other half to the colony is in the 4’ tank.
Trying to find the BEST coral for colours is hard, here’s my blue mushroom (I want some duller acros that are cheapish and stick to a nice tan or very pale yellow (Like the pavona’s you see).
image.jpg
Also, I’m slowly enjoying the cyano under whites now!! I hated it under blue lights because it looked so unnatural and was a deep reddish colour, now it’s more brown and looks 10x nicer and more appealing!! I think the uglies are the nicest time in a tank’s life!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though my tank is mainly LPS, my ideal tank would be full of brown/beige corals some with colorful tips. I have memories from snorkeling in 3 foot depth and seeing these giant acros, montis and all types of SPS, that were mainly 'neutral' colors. Im sure that those same corals would appear different under LED's, but I prefer that look over a rainbow. Again my tank is quite colorful-ish but I eventfully I want some encrusting's brown-ish corals to take over.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the reddish/pink. I have a Darth Maul favite that is nice looking.

One of the nicest corals colors was a ruby gonipora. It had really short polyps so the neon pink was really intense.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any one favorite color, what I appreciate most is contrasting colors and using color theory to place certain colors next to other colors that make the colors of both stand out more. I’m not great at it, and you have to account for lighting, flow, and comparability, but I try to place things next to complimenting colors.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any one favorite color, what I appreciate most is contrasting colors and using color theory to place certain colors next to other colors that make the colors of both stand out more. I’m not great at it, and you have to account for lighting, flow, and comparability, but I try to place things next to complimenting colors.
So like purples next to greens? And the colours that are opposite to eachother on a standard colour wheel?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like purples next to greens? And the colours that are opposite to eachother on a standard colour wheel?
Yes, and even colors that are close to the complimentary color. Actually purple and green would be an example of this, purple and yellow are complimentary colors, the basic complimentary colors are a primary color and then a mix of the other two primary colors (so blue/orange, yellow/purple, and red/green), corals don’t come in 100% primary colors, so you sometimes have to go to secondary or tertiary colors to create color harmony. But you also don’t have to use just complimentary color schemes, monochromatic (shades of the same color), or analogous (colors directly next to each other on the color wheel, like green and blue-green) color schemes can also look good in a reef tank. It’s just using basic color theory to make corals or parts of an aquascape stand out.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other because they all colors are beautiful in the tank. Its red, then green, then blue, then yellow, and so on. I like corals that have a combination of colors. To bring out multiple colors in a single coral is AWESOME!!!

2 colors corals are good, 3 color corals are great, 4+ colors corals are AWESOME!!!

My BSA TaTa Twister Blasto's have blue, pink, yellow, and neon green.

Back