Coral with the BEST color and what's your favorite coral color?

What is your favorite color when it comes to coral in your reef tank?

• RED

Votes: 77 15.3%
  • GREEN

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • PURPLE

Votes: 56 11.1%
  • GOLD

Votes: 34 6.7%
  • ORANGE

Votes: 110 21.8%
  • YELLOW

Votes: 64 12.7%
  • PINK

Votes: 63 12.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 39 7.7%

• Total voters

OG Reef Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually enjoy rainbow colors like the Purple Monster Mushroom pictured. I have 5 corals with the word rainbow in them, three of which are chalice corals. My favorite one so far is called Jelly Bean rainbow chalice. After that, I would say red, orange, blue, and purple in that order. I have all those colors and yellow and green in my tank too.

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my orange and pinks

E2A7F815-E4A1-4AF5-BF36-95C3DE678604.png D00EC106-773A-4C68-BAC2-68402049207C.jpeg 4E8D03E4-2DE2-42AD-829B-C8BFFF568CD3.jpeg

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a white-polyp toadstool from Biota that came entirely snow white but is starting to color up more now after having been in my tank for a few months -- I'm seeing greens/purples/blues starting to come out under the lights. How long has your leather been in your tank?
Sounds lovely! I've had it around 6 months. It has nearly quadrupled in size, but has definitely not changed colors. Not that I'm against it staying white... I'm just super curious as to what type of leather it might actually be? White devil's hand/finger? It has ever so slightly a blush of pink...(pics under white lights)

Attachments

• 20211123_180053.jpg
    20211123_180053.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211123_180044.jpg
    20211123_180044.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors? Other... like I said ALL of them Bizarro cyphastrea, Necromancer favia, Orange ricordea and Lemon Lime Favities, Jedi Mind Trick montipora, Super Saiyan, Belladonna & CB Rockstars zoanthids.
Oh! and a Lavender platygyra in the foreground zoa pic.

20211123_180518.jpg 20211123_180523.jpg 20211123_180527.jpg 20211123_180546.jpg 20211123_180534.jpg

Last edited:

Knr499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to pick a favorite color, anything that sticks out I guess. If I had to pick one I guess it would be yellow or orange.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably like blue ridge then , i like it because it grows super fast when happy.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like all the colors of the rainbow

But oranges yellows pinks and red are harder to produce pigments

Too me as a reefer it seems like when I first started reefing; we seen more beiges, brick reds, tans,browns, mauve greens and purples with mh and white colored t5 in the early days of reefing

Then when we started to improve our water quality hobbiests got better at keeping coral long term as a whole with the home ro unit ... before a coral would always die not if but when and then need replaced. With home ro units we started to see sustainability over time

Started pulling purple greens and blues

As hobbiests we learned more and improved water chemistry, and learned about feeding our corals. coral health was inturn improved and we also learned about amino acids in a closed loop system and more advanced synthetic based ion salt was produce to be rich in trace minerals and pro biotic not just the big 3 and in 1996 with the release of 2 part esv bionic people didn't have to mix their own anymore.... the big change happened around 2006 for hobbiests in the us with the release of new german t5 technology blue light dropped and the spread of data through the internet people were
Learning to keep coral longterm

Bam colors popped

Jullian sprung, steve tyree, and garf were the leading sources of info that arose in those times and many people still value their opinions today,imo they were the first in the states to color up coral

And alot of their teqniques were expanded upon and are still used today by conventional and commercial reef keepers alike

But now with 5 way testing, icp tests ,800$ programmable leds that apps work half the time then lock u out the other half, pharmaceutical grade reef salts that cost 100$ a bucket from germany, 500$ powerheads that are programmable, protein skimming technology(before you had to manually remove) media reactors , apex blah blah blah) were seeing way more colors than before... and this is due to innate malubility and being able to manipulate the environment

Basically blue dominated lights changed coral coloration for ever

We can feed a amino for polyp extension, broadcast feed, then feed our coral food to ensure that the coral is eating

We have amino acids that pull certain colors

We have probiotics that boost mucus health

We can dose with a pump vs by hand

We do daily water changes vs weekly water changes

We have atos now

If we think a corals coloring down all alot of people have to do is tweak a app or two adjust a light and a number do a auto water change with just a phone which is cool and sad at the same time

Alot has changed over the past 20 years some for the good some for the worse, but one thing is for certain leds advanced to a point far superior then I ever expected in my life time and the advancement will only get crazier
And more expensive

And By 2040 well be seeing rainbow everywhere and all those oldschool corals will be hard to come by because their will be so many new school frags in rotation and the old will be forgotten and sought after

And well probably see another shutdown in the future that will create unavailability as well as a ceiling price set

Bill murray frag from 8 years ago
(Mh t5)
Bill murray frag today
(Led)

s-l300.jpg 20211124_002309.jpg

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant believe blue was not even an option!

By far my favorite color for coral. Looks good in variety of lighting and just gives a clean look to me.

Cin288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’m slowly enjoying the cyano under whites now!! I hated it under blue lights because it looked so unnatural and was a deep reddish colour, now it’s more brown and looks 10x nicer and more appealing!! I think the uglies are the nicest time in a tank’s life!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a white leather too?! I've been trying to identify what it is exactly, that I purchased. SOLD to me as a Neon green sinularia, mine is completely white, polyps and all.
See the smaller one? My son says it is actually my favorite. It is very fussy, and reacts the quickest to any change . Especially water changes? I actually split mine as a smaller section was growing out of the base

Back