Coral88's 75 SPS Tank

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting this thread to keep track of the progress of my new SPS tank. It is in the very first stages right now and has been running for about two months. I have the first permanent inhabitants in there now. The rest of the corals in the tank were put in there to test the the progress of the new system. They were brown outs I got on the cheap. Once they started to show color I added the first permanent ones.

8 bulb T5 Tek fixture
2x Maxi jet with mod

The sump is temporary I should have the new one under it in a few weeks
I'm going to get an Octopus skimmer but for now I have a coral life
Not the best filtration but I only have 4 fish and I'm not adding any more so it will have to do for now.

I'm going to add a little more rock but it looks more or less the way I want. Except you can see the rock and I would like every square inch covered when I'm done adding coral.

So here is the humble beginning to my 75 sps tank

IMG_3428.jpg

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros at night under about 12 watts of light
acroatnight.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

Last edited:

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice slick lookin tank! And some nice size mini colonies. Esp when they color up a bit more.

Aquscape looks good to me. Could be a little higher built up, but they layout of it is very nice!

And get a nice SHOW FISH!
blah screw fish just get coral!

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

I might add a mystery wrasse at some point but that would be it I really only have the fish I have now to add a little natural food for the coral and the tang to keep any unsightly algae under control.

I will be adding more rock to the left side of the tank but I want a lot of room for coral to grow into. I was going for a open look and kept water flow in mind when placing the rock. As it is now almost nothing will settle on the bottom.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the last rocks to the tank I think after the white goes away It will have the look I wanted.

IMG_3574.jpg

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes me wish thats what one of my tanks looked like right now. all mine are a mess a have a predotor 75 with only the return running so basicaly low flow and then i have a 125 with no sand 3 piecs so maybe 8 pounds of rock and a frage rack with my corals sitting on it. o and i have a great diatom bloom from the addition of almost 180 gal to the old total water volume of about 90 lol but everthing is on hold untill i get time and supplies for the tare down rais the stand expadition coming soon and of course replumbing

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

I have a long way to go before it's close to the tank I want it to be but it's nice to be on the way to the SPS only tank I have pictured in my head. I'm trying to keep fragplugs out of the tank I have a few I'm debating on right now but moved a couple of frags from plugs to the rock today. I have two that are mounted to tiles on their side so I have no way to remove them. I will not get any more mounted this way. I should have a quarantine tank up and going in a month or two. It will be a good place to keep anything that need to grow out before it goes in the main tank.

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the aquascape. Hope i can make mine look half decen in my 40 gal tank! Ive nver been good at that part of these tanks :confused:

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I am very happy with them.

I spend way too much time looking at my tank. But even looking at it several times a day I think that little blue acro looks bluer every time I look at it. I moved it from the plug to the rock the plug was on and the way it looks it should start encrusting any day now.

I have two new acros I added today that I really didn't plan on adding. I got a really good deal on them and couldn't help myself. I will post some pics in a bit.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has green polyps but they don’t show up much under the 12watt nightlight. I think I had the shutter speed at about 2 sec to get this pic in the dark I hand to use a flashlight to get the focus to work. The other piece is not looking like much under such little light so I’ll get a pic of it tomorrow.

IMG_3639.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back