Coralamino dosing questions!

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a 160g total sw system. It's a mixed reef .... 6 months old system. Started with dry rock.

Been dosing 7.5 ml brightwell coralamino.... per week via ATO reservoir.

How much do you all dose... per week?

What's optimal? My corals aren't encrusted or growing, sticking on their own! Thx

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not that regimented about it meaning I don’t use it like an additive on a schedule. When you have a scheduled dosing, be it daily, weekly, etc... it is typically done to maintain a certain measurable level. Same thing goes for scheduled water changes. I’m sure there may be a benefit to having a steady level of suspended amino acids, but without a known range, or a hobby-grade way to test that range, I can’t justify using that much of the product in any given tank volume.

Just my opinion (I qualify a lot of statements with that), I think a more efficient way is to target the amino to the coral you’re trying to give it to. Therefore, I add a few drops to my coral food (reef chili) mix and dose it that way. If I remember to do it, great, if not, then there’s likely a minimal (if any) negative effect.

Another analogy is Selecon. I want it to get it into my fish, so I soak the food in it. Because fish breathe using the water, I could saturate the water with it, but that seems like a waste to me. Obviously, again, the same cannot be said for calcium an alkalinity for corals, but if you don’t have a level that you’re targeting and measuring for aminos, then it’s tough to weigh in on if that’s the right dose.

All that said, what I do could be the wrong way, I’ll freely admit... so please don’t view this as a criticism of the method. Again, this is just an opinion.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back