Coralcare gen 2 sale

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, also I said they reminded me of my 14k MH setup I used to run.

This light is design clearly to run with a controller. It wasn't design to produce a static look like a lot of the other light designs.

adam87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, do you think it will be discounted even lower? I have a 180 with 6 Radions (a mix xr30 g3 and xr 15 g4). I like them but my apex wxm just stop working and I can not use them through the apex anymore. It took me hours through the computer to just get them to work. I want good lights that won't be pain to use/setup.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, do you think it will be discounted even lower? I have a 180 with 6 Radions (a mix xr30 g3 and xr 15 g4). I like them but my apex wxm just stop working and I can not use them through the apex anymore. It took me hours through the computer to just get them to work. I want good lights that won't be pain to use/setup.
I doubt they go lower. Coral he has stated they are still selling lights to other companies. BRS just seems to not appreciate these lights due to having to run the white channel low to get the blue look that they like.

I’m in the game for two of them unless the wife decides to go back to school early in which case I’ll be waiting a year or two to upgrade.

adam87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is more white when i'm at work and gets more blue when i'm at home. So for me that's not a problem. The problem for me is my apex wxm just won't work anymore, even after resting it. And it has done this before too but now I cannot get it to work anymore. I'm just getting tired to keep resting the lights on my tank over and over again. But thank you for your help, it looks like that's going to be the best price for that light.

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is more white when i'm at work and gets more blue when i'm at home. So for me that's not a problem. The problem for me is my apex wxm just won't work anymore, even after resting it. And it has done this before too but now I cannot get it to work anymore. I'm just getting tired to keep resting the lights on my tank over and over again. But thank you for your help, it looks like that's going to be the best price for that light.
What about the Coral Care controller? It's also on sale.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate having to spend extra for a wifi controller, but reviews of software issues with most of the other brands also led me to trying this light. The app is super easy to connect and use. You open the app, connect to your controller via Bluetooth, adjust settings to change times and profiles (or import someone else’s), save, and disconnect. Very user friendly.

Another point to note, that I found while doing my dd, is that a lot of the youtube videos of these from 1yr ago were tested with demo models that for some reason were not putting out full wattage. Philips apparently recognized this and fixed the issue, but I’m not sure if the videos were ever corrected. I have no clue if that was the case with BRS and their video. I haven’t been able to get a par meter to the new lights yet, but a quick check with the lux meter with both channels at 100% showed about 70,000 lux at the water surface, 11” under the fixture. That converts to roughly about 1000 par, which is right where I’d expect a 170w fixture with wide optics and a diffuser to be. I plan on getting a par meter to check levels next week.

I doubt these will last long enough for BRS to discount more, but I think the discount is because these are so similar in form and function to the Neptune Sky, which BRS is now owner of. Personally, I was waiting for the ATI stratons to come back in stock when I found these on clearance and started doing a lot of research. For half the price, I couldn’t turn it down. This form factor also freed me to delete my t5 bulbs, which I would’ve had to keep if I went with Kessil or Radions.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is included if you buy 2 fixtures or more. BRS stopped this probably trying to get some profit still.

Honestly you could probably get Saltwateraquarium to price match BRS and get two lights and controller.

adam87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate having to spend extra for a wifi controller, but reviews of software issues with most of the other brands also led me to trying this light. The app is super easy to connect and use. You open the app, connect to your controller via Bluetooth, adjust settings to change times and profiles (or import someone else’s), save, and disconnect. Very user friendly.

Another point to note, that I found while doing my dd, is that a lot of the youtube videos of these from 1yr ago were tested with demo models that for some reason were not putting out full wattage. Philips apparently recognized this and fixed the issue, but I’m not sure if the videos were ever corrected. I have no clue if that was the case with BRS and their video. I haven’t been able to get a par meter to the new lights yet, but a quick check with the lux meter with both channels at 100% showed about 70,000 lux at the water surface, 11” under the fixture. That converts to roughly about 1000 par, which is right where I’d expect a 170w fixture with wide optics and a diffuser to be. I plan on getting a par meter to check levels next week.

I doubt these will last long enough for BRS to discount more, but I think the discount is because these are so similar in form and function to the Neptune Sky, which BRS is now owner of. Personally, I was waiting for the ATI stratons to come back in stock when I found these on clearance and started doing a lot of research. For half the price, I couldn’t turn it down. This form factor also freed me to delete my t5 bulbs, which I would’ve had to keep if I went with Kessil or Radions.
Thank you, I hate the software issues i'm having with my Radions. I'm thinking about selling my Radions and use the money to get the coralcare.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what the screw hole on the front and back of the fixture is for? Thinking about using it to mount an LED strip if I want a bluer look, but am wondering if that’s what it’s meant for

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what the screw hole on the front and back of the fixture is for? Thinking about using it to mount an LED strip if I want a bluer look, but am wondering if that’s what it’s meant for
I'm guessing it was intended for different mounting options of the fixture itself. No reason you couldn't utilize that threading for some led strips though.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is included if you buy 2 fixtures or more. BRS stopped this probably trying to get some profit still.

Honestly you could probably get Saltwateraquarium to price match BRS and get two lights and controller.
I was actually wondering how BRS is selling it at the price they are. Does it have a MAP? If so, is it the normal price of $799.99 or is the $679.99 that they have it on sale for? Then the cart price is even lower. Is that allowed since it's not advertised?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually wondering how BRS is selling it at the price they are. Does it have a MAP? If so, is it the normal price of $799.99 or is the $679.99 that they have it on sale for? Then the cart price is even lower. Is that allowed since it's not advertised?
It doesn’t seem to be a MAP item. Normal price is actually $899 I believe (SA is $899 reg and on sale for $799 now) but might go to $799 as that is what’s on coralvue website.

I’m pretty sure BRS can do as they please but if it was a MAP item the manufacturer wouldn’t be happy unless they gave the okay. BRS will probably not care these lights once they sell out hence the price cut.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t seem to be a MAP item. Normal price is actually $899 I believe (SA is $899 reg and on sale for $799 now) but might go to $799 as that is what’s on coralvue website.

I’m pretty sure BRS can do as they please but if it was a MAP item the manufacturer wouldn’t be happy unless they gave the okay. BRS will probably not care these lights once they sell out hence the price cut.
I think the price was permanently dropped to $799, not a sale.

Why the clearance? One can only speculate........

adam87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it today!

Attachments

• 20210925_165922.jpg
    20210925_165922.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 25

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade the lights on my 125 and I'm considering these lights. Does anyone know if these lights have any kind of night light feature, I've been considering buying an lsm for my apex but lights that have it built in would be nice. Also, can someone confirm that I would be able to control the lights with the 0-10v output of the apex?

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade the lights on my 125 and I'm considering these lights. Does anyone know if these lights have any kind of night light feature, I've been considering buying an lsm for my apex but lights that have it built in would be nice. Also, can someone confirm that I would be able to control the lights with the 0-10v output of the apex?
you can do 0-10v for sure. as for moonlight, i dont think there is any

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

according to some people on facebook, it is a MAP item. also according to them, theres some bad blood between philips and BRS apparently. BRS expressed lots of interest initially (even wanting to be the exclusive NA retailer), then went sour after they reviewed it and cancelled a large PO. so BRS (especially given they own the SKY), probably doesnt care about the happiness of philips, and just wants these off their shelves asap

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to some people on facebook, it is a MAP item. also according to them, theres some bad blood between philips and BRS apparently. BRS expressed lots of interest initially (even wanting to be the exclusive NA retailer), then went sour after they reviewed it and cancelled a large PO. so BRS (especially given they own the SKY), probably doesnt care about the happiness of philips, and just wants these off their shelves asap
I assumed the clearance has something to do with the fact that the form factor is awfully close to the sky. I wasn't aware of any of the history between the two companies though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back