Coralcare gen 2 sale

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed the clearance has something to do with the fact that the form factor is awfully close to the sky. I wasn't aware of any of the history between the two companies though.
that probably does play a factor. Randy from BRS said they just weren't selling well and thats why theyre discounted, but thats probably only half true. i guess that question will be answered if/when philips releases the coralcare gen3 and if BRS will carry it. if they don't, it'll be clear

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that probably does play a factor. Randy from BRS said they just weren't selling well and thats why theyre discounted, but thats probably only half true. i guess that question will be answered if/when philips releases the coralcare gen3 and if BRS will carry it. if they don't, it'll be clear
If I had to guess it would be that they won't carry it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just noticed the the Orphek Atlantik V2 is discounted on their site. I don't know much about them but it seems ironic that they're also the same form factor that competes with the sky.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to some people on facebook, it is a MAP item. also according to them, theres some bad blood between philips and BRS apparently. BRS expressed lots of interest initially (even wanting to be the exclusive NA retailer), then went sour after they reviewed it and cancelled a large PO. so BRS (especially given they own the SKY), probably doesnt care about the happiness of philips, and just wants these off their shelves asap
SA.com doesn’t list coralvue Philips or coral care as a MAP or non map item so I’m actually curious to know if it is a MAP item or not. I’ll have to reach out and see if they will release this info or not tomorrow.

BRS on the other hand it is a MAP item so maybe it is else where.

I honestly believe that BRS is just not standing behind the lights because of the sky. I have yet to see any negative reviews of the light other than it’s heavy and you really need to think of how you’re going to mount it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS put these on clearance because they aren't selling. At all. This isn't exclusive to BRS either. These lights are very poor sellers in the US. They are too white for the rave party blue lighting setups we see all over the forums, IG and Facebook. At 21 pounds, they are not an easy light to deal with.

With that said, I couldn't pass up a deal this good! They aren't going to be cheaper and highly doubt any other company will match this price. They are basically down to wholesale at this point. When BRS runs out, they're gone. So if you're on the fence, grab them now.

Got mine hung last night and it was one of the easiest lights I've ever setup. Had the controller on my WiFi in under 60 seconds. Can't say that for any other LED to date. My only complaints so far are the weight and the presets in the app. The preset issue could just be me but why allow presets if I can't use those presets on my schedule? I found that odd.

The fixture itself is EXTREMELY well built. Best build for an LED I've ever dealt with. Way better than the light that copied it. The light it puts out is amazing! Anyone that can't grow SPS with this light has other problems at play. BRS' video was poor at best. Is the light pretty white for today's standards? Yes, it is. Do some of us like to actually see the colors of our fish and corals? You betcha! If I didn't already have all my halides for my new 250 peninsula, I'd seriously consider these at their clearance price. That would be a 100 pound floating canopy though LOL.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you actually achieve a nice blue light with these if you cut down/out the white leds?

If so for many of us (me included) you could run the full spectrum light for 6-8 hours while away at work etc and the bluer spectrum while you are home to enjoy the tank and get the best of both worlds.

Personally I love a muted out blue look. Almost like a perfect mix of daylight and blue look. I want my corals to pop but don’t want my rocks to shine blue.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The preset issue could just be me but why allow presets if I can't use those presets on my schedule? I found that odd.
do you mean you want to change the start and end time of the preset to fit your schedule? you can in the app, where it says start time and end time

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can’t you actually achieve a nice blue light with these if you cut down/out the white leds?

If so for many of us (me included) you could run the full spectrum light for 6-8 hours while away at work etc and the bluer spectrum while you are home to enjoy the tank and get the best of both worlds.

Personally I love a muted out blue look. Almost like a perfect mix of daylight and blue look. I want my corals to pop but don’t want my rocks to shine blue.
You can get super blue and it looks really good for that late night viewing. I've got mine setup to run the majority of white while I'm away.

The live demo is super nice to help you set everything up. Other lights have this as well but just stating it is there in this software as well.

do you mean you want to change the start and end time of the preset to fit your schedule? you can in the app, where it says start time and end time

I went into the scheduler and added my start and end time. For each point I added, I had to set the color and intensity. It wouldn't let me just pick one of my saved presets for that point. Not a huge deal but found it odd. I certainly could have missed something and can play around later.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What resources have you all found for schedules? What schedule are you running? I've started off with heavier blue to get things going. Wanted to make the transition easy coming from my previous setup. I'd like to increase whites a bit more, I think. I see some people out there running at or close to 100% whites for a period of the day. Makes for a very yellow, hideous looking tank, but there are claims it's fantastic for growth in SPS.

Here's one example I found. Has anyone tried something similar?

229725616_10222637714185391_2132299128318106537_n.jpg

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What resources have you all found for schedules? What schedule are you running? I've started off with heavier blue to get things going. Wanted to make the transition easy coming from my previous setup. I'd like to increase whites a bit more, I think. I see some people out there running at or close to 100% whites for a period of the day. Makes for a very yellow, hideous looking tank, but there are claims it's fantastic for growth in SPS.

Here's one example I found. Has anyone tried something similar?

229725616_10222637714185391_2132299128318106537_n.jpg
All the people I see running 100% are running 100% white/blue not 100% white 0% blue.

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's definitely not the norm. IIRC the engineer of the light himself recommended a period of warm white. I'll see if I can find an actual source.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek released a new version. Atlantik Icon
I was not aware of that. I know basically nothing about Orphek, just noticed they're on clearance at BRS and they don't seem to be on sale from any other website. Plus BRS doesn't seem to have a newer version for sell. It just seems to me like they're going to quit selling any lights that are the same form factor as the Sky, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they're just clearing put old stock that didn't sell.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was not aware of that. I know basically nothing about Orphek, just noticed they're on clearance at BRS and they don't seem to be on sale from any other website. Plus BRS doesn't seem to have a newer version for sell. It just seems to me like they're going to quit selling any lights that are the same form factor as the Sky, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they're just clearing put old stock that didn't sell.

Orphek has a new light coming out. The Orphek is nothing like the SKY or Coral Care. They are completely different lights. The Orphek has no diffuser and needs to be mounted 14" or more from the tank. The higher the better since they use lenses on the LEDs.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek has a new light coming out. The Orphek is nothing like the SKY or Coral Care. They are completely different lights. The Orphek has no diffuser and needs to be mounted 14" or more from the tank. The higher the better since they use lenses on the LEDs.
Ok I was only basing it off of the appearance of the lights. They have many leds that are spread out across the fixture instead of the pretty common configuration of the leds being cluster into one or two groups.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ya the example above was pretty extreme. This is an older profile I found of @Luc Vogels, the lead designer of the CoralCare. I reached out and hope he'll share what he recommends today.
FB_IMG_1632763345485.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would buy the CC2 over the Sky all day long, especially if you’re growing acropora. Adam from @Battlecorals is using these over some of his tanks and he can’t tell the difference been his T5 fixtures and the CC2’s. The only two panel style LEDs I would choose from are the Straton and the CC2. Also, the Sky copied the CC platform, not the other way around. I’m not here to derail this thread, but if you’re looking for a solid panel led in this price range, look no further.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back