Coralcare gen 2 sale

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Who would buy them now if they have no lights now to sell.
There are other vendors who carry the CoralCare light.
Picking up the controller at BRS would save $40 on the total cost.

adam87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other vendors who carry the CoralCare light.
Picking up the controller at BRS would save $40 on the total cost.
I know it's still a great price for it. I may get one more as a back up. Anyways I'm happy I was able to get these lights for this price.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know it's still a great price for it. I may get one more as a back up. Anyways I'm happy I was able to get these lights for this price.
I hemmed and hawed until it was too late for the clearance price.
I was thinking about getting one for my smaller tank.
I probably will later. See if there are any sales this fall.
I have 2 over my 233 and they are great lights.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hemmed and hawed until it was too late for the clearance price.
I was thinking about getting one for my smaller tank.
I probably will later. See if there are any sales this fall.
I have 2 over my 233 and they are great lights.
You and me both. I was wanting to get three panels for my 125g but my wife wasn't fond of me spending the $1800 on them. I should've done it anyway.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess:
1. BRS said they were not selling. I'm sure this is true due to their video of the CC's. In the video they discuss how in order to get the blue spectrum BRS adheres to you have to turn the white led's down too much resulting in an output only good for softies and LPS in their opinion. I believe their basis for the blue look is the ATI blue+ bulb which they believe is the gold standard for coral growth and color. Scientifically based or not I like my tank a bit whiter even if it sacrifices growth. Plus, my fish are closer to their normal colors as well.

2. On top of that is the Neptune acquisition of BRS. The Neptune Sky is now their flagship light with the CC being the competitor. The Sky is a very close replication of the CC's. This makes sense being Terence from Neptune was running the original version CC's over his reef for a while. I'm sure he liked the format and layout of that style of light and developed the Sky in its image.

Last edited:

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BRS will offer whatever will sell. But if it doesn't sell... then they won't offer it. It wasn't selling.

The numbers are all in the CC review video. The determination of optimum height was done at 100/100. To get to the blue spectrum which the NA market prefers (closer to radion, kessils, sky)... par drops like 40%.

Apparently the NA market does not like a 15 lb, 170 watt, 68 LED fixture with a bias towards whiter light. NA seems to prefer ~4 lbs, ~200 watts, ~100 LEDs with a bluer bias (Radion and SKY).

If the strategy was to boost Neptune sales, they would drop GHL.

Terence said that he saw the CC tech at a show many years ago and was really interested in the fact that you could take a picture of the tank without a filter. They looked into it, found out the mixing tech was included in the Philips IP license agreement (which also includes the use of LEDs over an aquarium... as in every LED manufacturer for aquariums has to pay Philips the license fee). They then built a light which uses the mixing tech, but everything else is ground up engineered. They have been very transparent.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure sales were low and they were obviously sitting on a good amount of stock. It's not crazy to speculate the release of a light they're heavily invested in, using the same tech... miiigght just be one of the motivating factors to drop the product.

Whatever their reasoning was, it certainly worked out well for a lot of folks in this thread. At the price point they were offering, I don't think you could do any better if you wanted diffused LEDs.

I'm loving the whiter spectrum as well and intend to embrace it. I can enjoy my blues in the evening, but coming home to a bright, natural looking reef has been a joy so far.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What schedules have all you new CC2 owners settled on?

I did end up chatting with the designer of this fixture, Luc Vogels. He had some simple advice to offer.

Try to apply 3-6 hours of white light a day.
Apply a maximum of 10 hours bright lighting a day
Apply a maximum of 12-14 hours of total lighting a day.
Tune the color setting during the evening to the color tone of your liking.
Scale the intensity of the blue and white part by monitoring your corals (KH consumption and coloration). Hope this helps!

This is what I'm running now. I intend to increase the whites slowly as my coral acclimate. Mid day ultimately being 50/50 warm to cold. The dispersion panel in this fixture seems to make acclimating quite a bit easier. I haven't checked anything with a par meter, but visually it looks like the spread of intensity and spectrum is very even.

cc2profile.png

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fairly deep tank 330 gallon. So running them maxed out is fine. All sps seem to be doing well. Right now I’m mainly having a problem keeping any nitrates in system. Just got in bottle of loudwolf sodium nitrate. Made a solution and dosed. Almost immediately seeing better extension in polyps. Prob is I’m having to do this everyday. Light seems fine.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did need to move one of my lps almost to the bottom of tank. The fascination favia.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fairly deep tank 330 gallon. So running them maxed out is fine. All sps seem to be doing well. Right now I’m mainly having a problem keeping any nitrates in system. Just got in bottle of loudwolf sodium nitrate. Made a solution and dosed. Almost immediately seeing better extension in polyps. Prob is I’m having to do this everyday. Light seems fine.
Ah that makes sense. I bet your SPS are loving that profile. Glad the lights are working out for you.

Good luck with your nutrients. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum with higher than what's generally recommended, but my coral look happier than ever.

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! I have tried feeding more. But, I only have one fish biota mandarins and 2 fire shrimp in the tank. Plus, I’m starting to get breakout of aiptasia. (Just put in 25 nudis for that). Did not want to feed them more then I had to.

When I first set up the tank I wanted to try something new with my sand bed. I put egg crate at the bottom with some cloth sheets over it. Over the top of that I put 4-5 inch of different grain size sands. I wanted a very small amount of water to permeate through. Not enough to stop the non aerobic bacteria though. I can see many nitrogen bubbles coming up from it everyday. So it seems to be working. Maybe a little bit to good…. Was dosing 30ml neonitro and 3 big pinches of pellets. Still after 12 hours undetectable nitrates. So I might need to put the new sodium nitrate solution on a constant dose….

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back