CoralCare Gen 2 vs Orphek Atlantik

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point about the mounting height. That is one of my current pain points... I built my canopy far two short. My Viparspectra are currently 6.5” above the water. I can squeeze another 1.5” max without having to make changes to my canopy. Dana Riddle’s review of the CC included a PAR mapping for the lights mounted at 6” and the results were impressive.

Based off the height I would change my vote then. My orpheks are 13” off the water.... CC would be more uniform that low. I would worry the orphek would not blend well that low. Fwiw my lights are 34” over the bottom of the tank and I get 300 par on the bottom.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some of mine burn out and it was just outside the warranty period of my orphek. They still sent me the upgraded board for shipping only despite me offering to pay for it. Here is a close up of the leds new vs old. You can see they significantly upgraded the connections on the leds so I am not worried about them failing on the new lights. Also bonus pic of acro and clam 2mo growth under orphek.
7CBFCAD3-3D9C-4A14-89E4-DAEAD6236432.jpeg
BC294E62-122D-45D3-8924-F7EEAC1CBD14.png

Based off the height I would change my vote then. My orpheks are 13” off the water.... CC would be more uniform that low. I would worry the orphek would not blend well that low. Fwiw my lights are 34” over the bottom of the tank and I get 300 par on the bottom.

I've seen consistent feedback that Orphek seems to take care of their customers, and go above and beyond. Those are definitely some nice results from the light!

After your change in recommendation, I took a look into available data for Orphek's. You're right, CC does seem to be the better choice when hung at lower heights. While I would modify, or even rebuild, my canopy, I would rather not. This is definitely important to me, so thank you for bringing this point up! Looks like I'll be trying CC.

Next dilemma... how do I hide this purchase from my wife? ;Wacky

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen consistent feedback that Orphek seems to take care of their customers, and go above and beyond. Those are definitely some nice results from the light!

After your change in recommendation, I took a look into available data for Orphek's. You're right, CC does seem to be the better choice when hung at lower heights. While I would modify, or even rebuild, my canopy, I would rather not. This is definitely important to me, so thank you for bringing this point up! Looks like I'll be trying CC.

Next dilemma... how do I hide this purchase from my wife? ;Wacky
Don't know how you are going to hide it, but do it before the end of the month of you are going to do it. I just picked up a pair of CC's from BRS with the controller for $1469 shipped. You really cannot beat that price no matter what you do.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a ton of cash when the light these are trying to mimic is less than half the price.

Braver69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i completely agree with @Midrats, why the H would you buy LEDs to mimic T5s, when you can just get T5s for 20 to 50% of the price.

LED pricing is outrageous! ;Chicken

While I agree leds are expensive, when you add in bulb replacements the t-5 fixture is not as cheap as it appears and not everyone can get the bulbs they want locally either. Plus while the coral cares are meant to mimic t-5 output, you do gain greater control of par output then you would ever get with an actual t-5 fixture. So far I really like my Coral Care fixtures and there is something to be said for being dead silent.

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i completely agree with @Midrats, why the H would you buy LEDs to mimic T5s, when you can just get T5s for 20 to 50% of the price.

LED pricing is outrageous! ;Chicken
because bulbs are 20$ a pop and most people are getting 6-8 bulb fixtures so your looking at 120-160$ every 6 months in bulb replacements

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because bulbs are 20$ a pop and most people are getting 6-8 bulb fixtures so your looking at 120-160$ every 6 months in bulb replacements
Although I do agree about the bulb changes, to say every six months is not realistic for many. More like 12 months for most and some may even push to 15 - 18 after BRS's video on them.

I'm also a CC user for about 3.5 months now. So far I'm liking them alot coming from halides. The tank was started with an 8 bulb ATI fixture over a year ago so it's seen each lighting format along the way. Unlike the flat t5 look they also give a very little shimmer with the 4 clear spots in the glass panel. I've opted to put a couple kessil a160's on my 180 to add a little more to that shimmer and they do a nice job at that.

Overall corals have not skipped a beat to this point.

To each their own.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the whiter look..and have my radions @ 12k..that being said I have used orphek led bars to light a mixed softie/lps tank with EXCELLENT results....

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of points about the new Orpheks.
They have replaced some of the UV and deep blue LEDs with new spec ones and improved the connections in response to some LEDs failing prematurely.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like the Phillips Coral Cares. I've seen a few tanks running them and they looked fantastic! The Coral growth was much denser than I've seen with other L.E.D's

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I got an email from Orphek confirming.
Can you post the text from this email? I'm on their mailing list but I didn't get this message. I'm sick to death of the app as it is now. I can't even change the time on my lights without the app crashing. TBH, I can't do anything without it crashing.

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you swap from the gen 1 to the gen 2? Was it just due for an upgrade or something missing in the gen one you wanted?
Good morning ,
I was quite happy with the first edition but had them allready for 4 years.
My lfc had a great deal for me to swap them for the new ones .
Had to pay 500.- euro for two new ones , so out they went quick :)

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - in a hobby where stability is of the utmost importance, how often do you futz with the light spectrum? Intensity? Duration. The app is clunky and setup goofy but I’ve set the lamps up once and I go months without touching the app.
I bought mine used.

the oddest setup was the flashing light reset by quickly unplugging the lights 4 times and when you connect you connect to the gateway not the lights. I had to reset the lights to get the gateway to recognize the lights. Once there fairly straight forward. 4 channels 7 time slots 2 are 0s if you want the light to go off. 1 is a 1 s
To signal on. Which gives you 3 more to handle Ramps.

they need to be in order. The scroll is funky.
Lights are awesome. Spread the out.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my orphek, absolutely love the spectrum it provides. After buying it I won’t even consider another brand of led again. Except for a small tank where it’s too large.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, anyone trying the new orphek?

I am interested but I see a lot of old reviews of leds going out…

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered the upgrade yet but i intend to asap. I would like to hear some opinions as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back