Coralife 125g Protein Skimmer Help!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same exit as you have but water exits about half way down into the square cup, there are exit slits at the bottom, the sponge is the square with a 1” hole in the middle so the exit pipe is half way down into the sponge.
The bubbles that leave the skimmer are mostly broken in the bubble trap, few can exit.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same exit as you have but water exits about half way down into the square cup, there are exit slits at the bottom, the sponge is the square with a 1” hole in the middle so the exit pipe is half way down into the sponge.
The bubbles that leave the skimmer are mostly broken in the bubble trap, few can exit.
Thanks so much.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with that skimmer. The bubble trap has to be set up correctly to lower the amount of bubbles. It always released some anyway. Tuning the flow also helped. A bit tricky to get just right.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine was new, it dropped microbubbles like crazy. It has mostly stopped now. Only time I get bubbles anymore is just after a water change.. usually just for a few hours. The noise, well I just got used to it.
I did a modification to make the pump almost silent. You glue the black air diffuser thing to the magnet motor. It's tricky to start back up because it needs you to start it but once it's running, it runs the same and is 100x better as far as the sound goes.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coralife is a cheap skimmer (even though it's not really all that cheap)
All HOB skimmers (all skimmers for that matter) can over flow at some point.

To be honest for a 125g you are better off just getting an overflow box and get yourself a sump.
No HOB skimmer is going to be very good for a 125g. Having a sump will allow you to have much better skimmer and filtration options.

When I first started out in this hobby, my one mistake that I lived to regret was not setting up the tank with a sump.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE ON SKIMMER!!! I found out my filter came with these carbon impregnated foam pads...truth is...there is little to no carbon in them. So I medicated my fish a while ago with herbtana microbe Lift...this is what was causing all the microbubbles. I put in some real carbon in a sock. And my water turned crystal clear and there are no more microbubbles in my tank. So if you are having problems with microbubbles in your tank it could be caused by a product that you have put in the tank. Good sign that there is still medication in your tank is if you do a water change and there are bubbles in the water in the bucket you are dumping out. Hope this helps someone! Mind you, after I did a 20% water change I thought I might of seen less microbubbles but wasn't sure. But try the carbon method. If you have carbon that you haven't changed in a while change it! I think it's supposed to be changed every 3 months.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back