Coraline algae grows better in my sump

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display 24"x24" has a keasil 360we that I max out ar 80%. My refugium has one of the cheap Amazon led grow lights, the ones that give off a pink color. It has 40x .5w leds.

After getting my tanks chemistry back in check I now have coraline specks on my back glass, covering about 20% of my overflow and I think some of the coraline on the rocks is growing.

But, my sump with its $25 light is almost covered in coraline algae. I've actually scrapped it hoping that it would spread faster in my display. Is it possible that this cheap light is a better spectrum than my kessil? I've thought about maybe adding 2 more of these grow lights and putting them in my hood to go on for a few hrs in the morning to possibly help the algae take off.

Anyone have any idea, seen this in the past?

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find coraline tends to grow better in LOWER light.

right under my mp10s is where the coraline is caked on thick on the glass. anywhere else just grows bits that flake off easily.

your Kessil is prob burning the coraline

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find coraline tends to grow better in LOWER light.

right under my mp10s is where the coraline is caked on thick on the glass. anywhere else just grows bits that flake off easily.

your Kessil is prob burning the coraline
Interesting, idea, would explain why it seems to be taking off under my 20w grow light. But, on my overflow it seems to be growing fastest toward the top.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just something I heard a while back, and thought was B.S until I saw it happening in my tank.

all directly exposed areas would grow flecks that would die off quickly but areas with shade was thick with growth.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, idea, would explain why it seems to be taking off under my 20w grow light. But, on my overflow it seems to be growing fastest toward the top.
Overflows tend to be on the edges of the tank where the PAR is lowest. Either way, it should be growing on the rock towards the bottom of the tank. If it's not, I can think of two other culprits.

1) really good high flow in the DT, lower flow in the sump. As you scrape, it doesn't have a chance to land and grow in the DT, then ends up in a lower flow sump where it can settle and grow.

2) predators. Urchins love coraline algae.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally scrap it in my sump allowing my pump to spread it through my tank. I now have some specs growing on my back glass. I think I now have some starting on some rocks but it's hard to tell if it's new growth or old.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more coralline than I need in my 120 and use 2 urchins to keep it under control.
I run Halides and T5's prior so no low light issues.
Is your sump acrylic?
If not it sounds like you have a light spectrum the coralline likes.
Also coralline like to grow on acrylic overflows before the glass.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more coralline than I need in my 120 and use 2 urchins to keep it under control.
I run Halides and T5's prior so no low light issues.
Is your sump acrylic?
If not it sounds like you have a light spectrum the coralline likes.
Also coralline like to grow on acrylic overflows before the glass.
Yes, it is growing on my acrylic sump baffles and overflow which I assume is abs plastic. I have a kessil 360we, I've turned it down a lot because I thought I had too much light.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is growing on my acrylic sump baffles and overflow which I assume is abs plastic. I have a kessil 360we, I've turned it down a lot because I thought I had too much light.
Yea thats it.
It always starts on acrylic. Overflows are black acrylic not abs.
It also covers powerheads first.
20200515_183735.jpg

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side Q: Does coraline prefer the refugium style grow light (pink) or the bluer spectrum that corals like?
Good question, I've thought about adding an led grow light into my canopy and have it on for 4-5 hrs in fhe morning

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed since I've been running lots of ATI Coral Plus bulbs my coralline has really taken off everywhere. It's actually plating like mini montipora. The spectrum has a bit of a pinkish tinge to it, reminds me of my beloved old VHO.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back