Coraline Algae growth to much..!

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doe's anyone out there have problems with to much Coraline Algae growth on there tank ( acrylic tank ) and even the snails are covered with it. I just love the color of my snails, but they are just purple. How can I stop this or just slow down the growth on the snails..? I move one on top of the other to clean each other all the time... Help.... :).

ZoixDark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can't, well without slowing down all your other coral growth. Seems like a good problem to have even though the snails get covered too. It's life. :)

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can't, well without slowing down all your other coral growth. Seems like a good problem to have even though the snails get covered too. It's life. :)
I am really have a hard time cleaning the tank walls (acrylic) there are some spots I just cant clean... It is just shy of using a razor blade.. I cant get it off.. Good Magnets Algae Free - Piranha Float. And I use it all the time every day. I really don't know is this all good? The back of the tank is just covered, as I just let it go. Way to hard to clean. I did just buy one of those crdt card scrapers. And it doesnt touch a lot of it either..! But NOW it also some green algae that is very hard to remove even daily with the magnet. lost here

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you figure out how to get rid of it, let me know.
23caf57e-7cb3-49be-8f52-aaa35a1747af-jpeg.1659322

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, it'll do that.

Sea urchins may eat some of it, but can also scratch acrylic. Chitons will eat some amount of coraline, but only in their small area on the rock, they don't go around the tank cleaning.

If you're gentle about it, you can clean a snail's shell with a toothbrush.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tuxedo and pin cushion urchins will reduce it but take too much

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you figure out how to get rid of it, let me know.
23caf57e-7cb3-49be-8f52-aaa35a1747af-jpeg.1659322
I also just bought one of those credit card holder cleaners ,,, and i just love it. It works if you are very very carful. GET ONE >>>> :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole back of my 120 was covered with it.
I have 2 urchins that keep it down to respectable levels.
Mine grows quite fast since my carx has been online.
Works well in a glass tank.
I have had acrylic tanks before and its almost impossible to remove without scratching it, imo.
This is the level they have kept it at in my tank now for over 6 months.
It pretty much stays at this level now.
20210105_183602.jpg

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just bought one of those credit card holder cleaners ,,, and i just love it. It works if you are very very carful. GET ONE >>>> :)
My tank is glass, so I use a hammerhead magnetic scraper with the blade attachment. But I only clean the front. I leave the 2 sides and the back to grow coralline to feed my 2 rock urchins. Once a side gets covered like that and an urchin wanders over, within about 4 or 5 days, they’d have that side almost completely clean.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it'll do that.

Sea urchins may eat some of it, but can also scratch acrylic. Chitons will eat some amount of coraline, but only in their small area on the rock, they don't go around the tank cleaning.

If you're gentle about it, you can clean a snail's shell with a toothbrush.
Tried that just now... Nope

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole back of my 120 was covered with it.
I have 2 urchins that keep it down to respectable levels.
Mine grows quite fast since my carx has been online.
Works well in a glass tank.
I have had acrylic tanks before and its almost impossible to remove without scratching it, imo.
This is the level they have kept it at in my tank now for over 6 months.
It pretty much stays at this level now.
20210105_183602.jpg
Wow.. Bare bottom I love my deep sand bed... I do, my tanks have been set up never takin down for 23 years now. Never any crashes of problems. Just coralline everywhere... I think all my piping is getting plugged up somewhat I am going to replace it soon... Next big snow storm...lol Your tank looks nice by the way.. !!! Tuxedo and pin cushion urchins I dont know which to get..?

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. Bare bottom I love my deep sand bed... I do, my tanks have been set up never takin down for 23 years now. Never any crashes of problems. Just coralline everywhere... I think all my piping is getting plugged up somewhat I am going to replace it soon... Next big snow storm...lol Your tank looks nice by the way.. !!! Tuxedo and pin cushion urchins I dont know which to get..?
I have A LOT MORE coralline growth in mine A LOT... Your snails look clean... Mine are completely covered as fast as I put them in there..

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had a sand bed.
Wanted to try BB this time.
I have sand in my 45 frag system for my diamond goby.
Here is the other urchin.
Any pics of your system?
20201002_180458.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have to figure out where to get some urchins for a very, very good price.. Idea's anyone?... And should I get two..? Pin cushions..? One tank on a two tank system (120) grows tons of coralline and the other halide tank (90) doesn't grow as much coralline at all on glass but some on rock (just right amount).. Anyone....

Firefyghter86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doe's anyone out there have problems with to much Coraline Algae growth on there tank ( acrylic tank ) and even the snails are covered with it. I just love the color of my snails, but they are just purple. How can I stop this or just slow down the growth on the snails..? I move one on top of the other to clean each other all the time... Help.... :).
Hey friend. Are you willing to scrape a bunch of that coraline off and mail it to me? I’d be willing to pay you for it. I’m desperate man lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only half a year old and is covered from head to toe. People say asterinas will eat but they’re not busy enough. In fact nothing can eat that much coralline. It’s just a nuisance we have to deal with.
C66EF767-2D6D-48B0-8D8F-DAF4D856CA6A.jpeg
This pic was not long after I started the tank. I couldn’t believe how fast it took over. Never had this happen in other tanks. Good luck.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that this is from an abundance of nitrates and long light cycles. Get your nitrates below 5 and it back off the hours of lighting and it should slow quite a bit. Having other corals to absorb some of the food might help as well. I haven't solved my purple problem though so it's just speculation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back